JACT Latin Summer School 2022

Watch this thread
thejustinbond
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, is anyone going to the Latin Summer School in Harrogate this year? Has anyone gone before? I’m attending this year because I want to apply to Oxford so it should greatly help! Has anyone been in previous years, too?
agave_of_thebes
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thejustinbond)
Hi, is anyone going to the Latin Summer School in Harrogate this year? Has anyone gone before? I’m attending this year because I want to apply to Oxford so it should greatly help! Has anyone been in previous years, too?
Hi!! I am! I'm currently in year 12, and next year I want to apply for Classics at Cambridge? I went in 2020 and 2021, and it's honestly so great, if you're a Classics/Latin nerd you'll love it. What course are you going to do??
thejustinbond
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by agave_of_thebes)
Hi!! I am! I'm currently in year 12, and next year I want to apply for Classics at Cambridge? I went in 2020 and 2021, and it's honestly so great, if you're a Classics/Latin nerd you'll love it. What course are you going to do??
Hi, I’m in Year 12 too!

I’m applying to the Classics I course (The one for if you’ve done either Latin or Greek to A Level I think it is). I’m looking forward to it, I hope it helps me improve with my poetry translation skills because honestly Ovid can be really tricky (especially since he uses essentially an entirely different set of vocab to the main list!)

Did you notice a jump in your ability after going to it?
agave_of_thebes
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Absolutely. So in 2020, I did the beginner's course to really consolidate my language knowledge for GCSE and that helped immensely. In 2021, I did the post-GCSE course which focused mostly on reading Latin authors and translation, which the A-level one we'll be doing this year is also focused around. I've always been stronger in language than literature, but since you are getting 3 hours of exposure to the texts with a teacher everyday, plus at least an hour of homework, your level really jumps up out of the necessity to improve.
Last year we did about half of the time on prose texts, (Pliny, Tacitus and even some Vulgar Latin from Paul), and then the rest of the time we translated most of Ovid Metamorphoses Book 3. The texts were slightly adapted, but I found that the gradual introduction into harder Latin through prose before tackling Ovid was a great structure for the course, so they really know what they're doing.
The A-level course at camp I know is also designed to help you prepare for the unseen translation that Oxbridge require for the Classics course, which will be majorly useful.

Definitely in starting A-level Latin, the content from the camp and the skills I gained have been incredibly useful. This includes ways to approach texts, lots of grammar practice that really cements the structures in your mind and teacher-assisted exposure to author's styles, which is obviously VERY helpful when you study such a wide range of texts at camp, A-level and in the field of Classics.

Sorry this was so long and waffly (also sounds a bit like I'm being sponsored to say this), but I hope I could help.

(also just noticed that weird question mark that I managed to put in my previous post. It looks really odd, sorry.)
Last edited by agave_of_thebes; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads