The Student Room Group

KCL or Manchester

Hey, please help me choose between these two uni's for adult nursing. I am completely stuck...

I'm interested in oncology (cancer) nursing, although I'm aware that can change as I go through the course.

I like Manchester, because it has great links to the Christie Hospital, a cancer hospital, where I could have a placement/get a job at the end. Christie also has MSc in Cancer Care.

I like Kings because they have an optional cancer module. Possible links to the Royal Marsden, but all depending on what Trust you are placed at. Marsden also has a Msc in Cancer Care.

Only thing I'm worried about with both uni's, but especially Kings is the self-directed learning. I understand that we have lectures and then tutorials/seminars to go through the information given in the lecture. Support and feedback from lecturers worries me a bit too, as the lack of it won't tell me where I need to improve.

What one to pick? :redface:
Manchester. KCL is mostly self learning which sucks. They’re all busy and won’t help as much
Original post by Back2Uni2021
Hey, please help me choose between these two uni's for adult nursing. I am completely stuck...

I'm interested in oncology (cancer) nursing, although I'm aware that can change as I go through the course.

I like Manchester, because it has great links to the Christie Hospital, a cancer hospital, where I could have a placement/get a job at the end. Christie also has MSc in Cancer Care.

I like Kings because they have an optional cancer module. Possible links to the Royal Marsden, but all depending on what Trust you are placed at. Marsden also has a Msc in Cancer Care.

Only thing I'm worried about with both uni's, but especially Kings is the self-directed learning. I understand that we have lectures and then tutorials/seminars to go through the information given in the lecture. Support and feedback from lecturers worries me a bit too, as the lack of it won't tell me where I need to improve.

What one to pick? :redface:

"Which uni do I choose for adult nursing" is one I've answered a number of times on here - there's no real answer other than a generic, latest one being about half an hour ago - see my response to this post https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7223537

It sounds like you have reservations about KCL, which you don't have about Manchester. In which case, KCL probably isn't for you.

You'll have all sorts of placements wherever you go - and may or may not get one in cancer care, but you'll still get opportunity to go into this area later on in your career.

Quick Reply

Latest