The Student Room Group

"Under 18 at time of entry" Offers/Rejections (Policy)

Thread for all of those who are going to be under 18 when they go to university (assuming we get offers!)

Who has had offers so far?

Anyone heard back from universities about their policies for under 18s?

I was speculating that it may delay the application process, as their may be added difficulty for universities in accomodating minors. Any thoughts/comments?

(I'm born in April 1992 and applying for 2009 entry, see sig)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They didn't (and can't legally) make a fuss about it. I sent in my applications last year (I skipped 10th grade) and everything flowed smoothly: just remember that by law they can't discriminate you for your age and that they must treat you as an equal applicant. I got offers from Warwick, Bath, and Durham.

The only thing that's important to mention is the fact that you'll need a "legal guardian" in the U.K. By this they mean someone who lives in the UK, over the age of 18, who is responsible for you just in case something serious happens ie. You get run over/You're arrested :P . Depending on the University, they will either:

1) Send you a simple reminder of your status as a minor, explaining what I mentioned above, and that when you finally start your first term the university will need our guardian's signature.
2) Before they send you an offer, send a confirmation letter asking your parents (or guardians) to sign it just so they know for sure that it wouldn't be a waste to send an offer.

To resume, you are considered an equal applicant and you have nothing to worry about. :smile:
Reply 2
you're 1 month younger than me, wtf how did you manage to do your a levels so quick?
Reply 3
spikeymike
I'm at uni and i'm still 17 :proud:

Surely that can't be a good thing :p:
Bateman
you're 1 month younger than me, wtf how did you manage to do your a levels so quick?

some people skip years
Reply 5
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
some people skip years

2 years?
Bateman
2 years?

why two years :s-smilie: if they're born in the late months of their school year then they enter uni at 17. And if they skip 2 years then why not if their capable. Also if you come from another country your school years are sometimes messed up and you end up too old/too young for the UK school system.
one of my friends at uno has only just turned 18. she's an international student though, so i dunno if that changes anything :s-smilie: ???
Joaof
They didn't (and can't legally) make a fuss about it. I sent in my applications last year (I skipped 10th grade) and everything flowed smoothly: just remember that by law they can't discriminate you for your age and that they must treat you as an equal applicant. I got offers from Warwick, Bath, and Durham.

The only thing that's important to mention is the fact that you'll need a "legal guardian" in the U.K. By this they mean someone who lives in the UK, over the age of 18, who is responsible for you just in case something serious happens ie. You get run over/You're arrested :P . Depending on the University, they will either:

1) Send you a simple reminder of your status as a minor, explaining what I mentioned above, and that when you finally start your first term the university will need our guardian's signature.
2) Before they send you an offer, send a confirmation letter asking your parents (or guardians) to sign it just so they know for sure that it wouldn't be a waste to send an offer.

To resume, you are considered an equal applicant and you have nothing to worry about. :smile:

Ditto this, in every respect. IIRC only Nottingham actually raised it when I applied, and they just sent a waiver for me and my parents to sign before making an offer. All the other universities just made me offers.
Offer from UCL - I'm still 16 and will be doing Maths.

There is a Under 18 policy - every year there are two CRV checks.
I'll only just be 18 when I go to uni as I'm one of the youngest in the year... I'll probably be one of the youngest at uni as well :smile:
Reply 11
haha 10 minutes after making this thread I got this email from UCL:

I am writing to you regarding the above application. I will be contacting
you again shortly via letter, advising you that I have recommended to the
Faculty Office that they make you an offer of a place on the G1L1 course.
There had been a short delay on processing your application, due to your
age, being under 18 at the start of the course. I apologise for this delay.
I attach some information on how the Mathematics department looks after
students who are under 18 and therefore, under UK law, a child, in the legal
definition. There is no need for you to act upon this information - it is
provided by me for your and your parents reassurance.

Applying for Maths with Econ :smile:
Reply 12
Well I'm in complete and utter awe...
Reply 13
going to uni when your under 18, doesnt that kinda ruin the whole uni experience aka partying?
Reply 14
spikeymike
How does it?

Can't get into some bars or clubs, who require you to be 18.
Reply 15
I'm a first year at uni, and I was only 16 when I went. Turned 17 a few weeks ago. Absolutely no problems with i.d, made friends with all the bouncers :smile: And I didn't have any issues from the universities I applied to ( St Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh) regarding my age.
In Scotland they generally start uni at 17. If you've come from England you can sometimes get direct entry in the 2nd year.
yodude888
Thread for all of those who are going to be under 18 when they go to university (assuming we get offers!)

Who has had offers so far?

Anyone heard back from universities about their policies for under 18s?

I was speculating that it may delay the application process, as their may be added difficulty for universities in accomodating minors. Any thoughts/comments?

(I'm born in April 1992 and applying for 2009 entry, see sig)

Are you sure Kings Cambridge are ok with your enty? Because when I emailed them last year, they specified that they wont make a 2008 offer (for me) - only a deferred one if I got the offer. I was March 1991.

Only 3 colleges were willing to accommodate U18 candidates. And this was due to die out completely in a few years - I was re-interviewed for deferred by the same college I applied to for entry in 2008...
Reply 18
whats_its_face
Are you sure Kings Cambridge are ok with your enty? Because when I emailed them last year, they specified that they wont make a 2008 offer (for me) - only a deferred one if I got the offer. I was March 1991.

Only 3 colleges were willing to accommodate U18 candidates. And this was due to die out completely in a few years - I was re-interviewed for deferred by the same college I applied to for entry in 2008...

Uh-oh. They never mentioned that when we visited! Oh well, I would actually prefer deferred if I was given an offer. I'm not expectant tho, and I'd actually prefer an LSE offer tbh (I think)
Thanks for the warning!
Reply 19
Officially they can't discriminate, though I think there are legal paperwork involved for the uni staff due to child protection laws etc. so possibly a uni/college may simply not have sufficiently qualified/legally cleared staff to admit/look after you? Just a guess though, I don't know much about UK laws.

Offers and grades permitting, I'll have just turned 18 when I go to uni :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending