Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have been set an esay in AEA biology which the teacher claims is the hardest he's seen in number of years - i would greatly appreciate help, the question is:

You are walking along a beach and find something. What would you do to find out if it was

a) alive
    b)dead
    c) it had never been alive at all

you are not allowed to break it open.

Thanks!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freddyy_poo)
    You are walking along a beach and find something. What would you do to find out if it was

a) alive
    b)dead
    What AEA question was this? It sounds more like an interview question for university admissions.

I would think of it in terms of 'life requires respiration', so if it were still alive, it would be giving off CO[sub]2[\sub]. If it had died but not totally rotted, it might go round the Krebs cycle...so give it some biochemicals from that pathway and hope it makes ATP?

That's most probably wrong...but it's one way of looking at it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have been set an esay in AEA biology which the teacher claims is the hardest he's seen in number of years - i would greatly appreciate help, the question is:

a) alive
    b)dead

you are not allowed to break it open.

Thanks!:rolleyes:
    What paper is this question from?? I've looked through AEA biology questions and I've never come across anything quite like this.

What does the item look like?

Surely you could just look at it under a microscope.

ReputationRep:
    MRS NERG ftw :rolleyes:

(Is it moving, respiring, can it feel it when you poke it, put it with a variety of food, observe is it excreting, reproduction and growth don't particularily come into it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    What paper is this question from?? I've looked through AEA biology questions and I've never come across anything quite like this.

What does the item look like?

Surely you could just look at it under a microscope.

hey, well this teacher has been teaching AEA since it started, i don't know what year the question was set - but he said it was the hardest he'd ever come across.

from the point of humans we know that something is dead when brain activity ceases, but what about a random object that you have never een before?

ReputationRep:
    hey, well this teacher has been teaching AEA since it started, i don't know what year the question was set - but he said it was the hardest he'd ever come across.

from the point of humans we know that something is dead when brain activity ceases, but what about a random object that you have never een before?
    Well, microscopy to see if there are any biological structures will narrow the options.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.