The Student Room Group

3 a levels :in one year?

I'm just going to do three subjects and study 30 hours a week with private tutors and then hopefully get into Uni next year as I'll be 19
My choices : RS AQA, Sociology AQA and psychology AQA
I'll be studying Monday - Friday and then some extra revision on the weekend. If anyone has any tips for me for e.g. revision books, online tutors/colleges, youtubers or anything please let me know. I really am dedicated with this sort of thing and I'm pretty good at learning with independent learning. Or should I do these in two years? I just really want to get into Uni next year desperately!
Hi

Three A levels is one year is easily doable if you're dedicated and can get stuck in. I'd set yourself a timetable and try and stick to it as much as possible.

However, I'm wondering if you feel as though you have to rush through them to get into uni at 19? There are loads of students who don't go to uni straight from school/sixth form, or take a bit longer than the standard 5 years at high school followed by 2 years for A levels.

It also depends a bit on what you've been doing since you left school. If you've done different A levels (or similar) since leaving school, this would give you a better indication of how you'll be able to cope with independent study. If you left school and have been working/not studying at all, it might be a bit ambitious.

There's also other options besides A levels - you could do an Access to HE course at your local college, and a lot of these are intensive over 1 year. The advantage of taking one of these is that you'll get additional support for your UCAS application, including your academic reference.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just going to do three subjects and study 30 hours a week with private tutors and then hopefully get into Uni next year as I'll be 19
My choices : RS AQA, Sociology AQA and psychology AQA
I'll be studying Monday - Friday and then some extra revision on the weekend. If anyone has any tips for me for e.g. revision books, online tutors/colleges, youtubers or anything please let me know. I really am dedicated with this sort of thing and I'm pretty good at learning with independent learning. Or should I do these in two years? I just really want to get into Uni next year desperately!

i do sociology and religious studies aqa.
sociology is going okay i have my first religious studies a level exam tomo - just thought id let u know that everyone who has done this a level in my sixth form regrets it. it doesnt really get u far and isnt an important a level so if u could change it id advise u to.
if theres a will theres a way , ive learnt all my a level content in a year bc of covid taking away year 12. so its possible. aqa textbooks for religious studies and revisesociology website for sociology. good luck.
Original post by gaynor_scraggins
Hi

Three A levels is one year is easily doable if you're dedicated and can get stuck in. I'd set yourself a timetable and try and stick to it as much as possible.

However, I'm wondering if you feel as though you have to rush through them to get into uni at 19? There are loads of students who don't go to uni straight from school/sixth form, or take a bit longer than the standard 5 years at high school followed by 2 years for A levels.

It also depends a bit on what you've been doing since you left school. If you've done different A levels (or similar) since leaving school, this would give you a better indication of how you'll be able to cope with independent study. If you left school and have been working/not studying at all, it might be a bit ambitious.

There's also other options besides A levels - you could do an Access to HE course at your local college, and a lot of these are intensive over 1 year. The advantage of taking one of these is that you'll get additional support for your UCAS application, including your academic reference.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hi, are these a-levels great for Social work? I know that perhaps RS isn't an important subject but I think it'll be easily achieved because I'm quite good with this sort of thing. I have been doing different a-levels but I haven't been focusing much on them because of my mental health and I've got better within these past few months so I know I could do well if I put my mind to it. I have ordered books from Amazon this morning and I have made a timetable so I can study as soon as I finish my exams and I will study throughout the summer holidays, ensuring I get enough revision and I will complete past papers in a few months time to then mark my paper from the mark schemes and then mark it with the grade boundaries from previous years which will help me predict my grade next year. I will be studying as a private candidate but I'm also confused on how to apply to exams in settings as I don't want to go back to school that I'm in as I would rather sit it in a different place. When would I have to apply for exams in 2023?
I work well with posters, flash cards and youtube especially will help me but I'm thinking of hiring a private tutor in September which I will see every two weeks so they can see how I'm progressing and they can help me learn more quickly.
I'd rather study a-levels as I want to challenge myself and make myself proud and my parents proud too. I've looked at entry requirements for social work in nearby Universities so I could see what I need to achieve and most of them aren't high, they don't expect high grades and I would rather study in a Uni close by as I wouldn't want to be far from home.
i do sociology and religious studies aqa.
sociology is going okay i have my first religious studies a level exam tomo - just thought id let u know that everyone who has done this a level in my sixth form regrets it. it doesnt really get u far and isnt an important a level so if u could change it id advise u to.
if theres a will theres a way , ive learnt all my a level content in a year bc of covid taking away year 12. so its possible. aqa textbooks for religious studies and revisesociology website for sociology. good luck.

Hi, is sociology okay or quite hard? Does it require maths and science skills or not so much? Good luck with your a-level exam tomorrow! Do you mean you regret taking religious studies? If so, why? I am going to apply for Social Work for Uni next year so are the subjects important? What will you be doing after a-levels? If I drop religious studies, what subject would you recommend? I think I'll be ok with it and the entry requirements at the Uni's I'm wanting to go to aren't high and they're not picky so I should be ok. But is RS easier than sociology would you say? Also you know for the second paper, do you get a choice of what religion you want to study? Is that an option?
Thank you so much!! I hope your exams go well.
Reply 5
If the aim is a Social work degree, then I expect an access cource that is focused on Socal work would be better then A levels. But check what different universities ask for. Also see if universities will take Open University level 1 credits.
Original post by ringi
If the aim is a Social work degree, then I expect an access cource that is focused on Socal work would be better then A levels. But check what different universities ask for. Also see if universities will take Open University level 1 credits.

What is an access course? Can you do them at 18? As I'll be 18 soon and I thought you had to be 19. I've looked at three Universities I'm keen on, one of them that I really want to get into requires three a-levels. UCAS points: 120-128 A Level : BBB- ABB along with grade 4 in English language and a grade 4 in maths as the requirements. But the other two require less. The second choice of mine only requires two a-levels 112 UCAS Tariff points from a minimum of 2 A Levels (or equivalent). 3 GCSEs at grade C, or grade 4, or above, including English. Then the third choice is At least 112 points with 96 points from at least 2 A level passes - although I'm not sure what this one means by having 96 points from at least two a level passes. I don't mind the first two (Herts and ARU) because I'm keen on the Herts Uni as I'm interested in the better quality and easier travel as I will be staying at home but the ARU is also not too far but more expensive for travel and it is a nicer place, living a city life. The last one is Luton which I'm not so keen about but it's near and I don't want to stay in a place outside from home so that's a backup. Btw, what is Open University level 1 credits?
Hi, is sociology okay or quite hard? Does it require maths and science skills or not so much? Good luck with your a-level exam tomorrow! Do you mean you regret taking religious studies? If so, why? I am going to apply for Social Work for Uni next year so are the subjects important? What will you be doing after a-levels? If I drop religious studies, what subject would you recommend? I think I'll be ok with it and the entry requirements at the Uni's I'm wanting to go to aren't high and they're not picky so I should be ok. But is RS easier than sociology would you say? Also you know for the second paper, do you get a choice of what religion you want to study? Is that an option?
Thank you so much!! I hope your exams go well.

hey,
what are the odds im applying for social work this year too lol! yes i mean i regret religious studies - for social work it isn't important at all they dont care about that subject. id suggest health and social care b tech single , a level sociology maybe a level psychology? tbh if i could go back i would have done a btech in triple health and social care (equiv to a levels) because you can get into uni with that too. and sociology is easier then religious studies imo - although the paper we sat this morning was actually decent. the content is just too much , i only found it tolerable because we were provided advanced information that you won't be receiving. and no it is not an option , you have to do what religion ur sixth form teaches. for sociology i was able to choose my subject 1 for paper 1 though. and thank you , id love to help you more considering we're on very similar pathways so if i do study social work this year (HOPEFULLY!) then i would love to let u know how it goes too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending