Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there....i was kind of thinking.....if i didnt get any offers from my chosen course (Architecture), i think i would reapply next year for courses within Marketing, business, business economics and Law.

I have had a look at uni's for this, but need help. I will finish this year with A levels in English Lang/Lit, Art, Communications and General Studies and will have two further AS's in Maths and Photography.
    My target is to get AABBbb. Now, i dont know how ideal my subjects are for business or law etc.

I know Warwick so Law and Business with AABc requirements, and I really like Liverpool with BBB. Does anyone know any other good courses in this sector? its not really an area i know well

Also, i know loads of people make threads with "are these grades good enough" and "will i get offers" and stuff, but really i just seek reassurance that i have some chance with this. Is it something that will lead to good prospects? I just dont want to mess up applying this year, and then apply to this next year and the same thing happen i would be devastated.

but please lets stick to constructive criticism if someone has anything bad to say lol :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    I hoping to do Business and Law at Warwick too!
    I've also looked at Aston, Brookes, and Uni of Bham.
    My Alevels with predicted grades are Eng Lang (a) business (a) ict (a) maths (b)
    I have also completed general studies with an a grade

i think you should be fine; english lang and general studies should help you with the law side of things
    and for the business side - you just need to say why your interested in it really
    like reading newspapers and current affairs
    do you have a part time job - if so say how the business you work for interests you and you want to learn more about how businesses operate
    that kind of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high_maintenance_girl)
    I hoping to do Business and Law at Warwick too!
    I've also looked at Aston, Brookes, and Uni of Bham.
    My Alevels with predicted grades are Eng Lang (a) business (a) ict (a) maths (b)
    I have also completed general studies with an a grade

i think you should be fine; english lang and general studies should help you with the law side of things
    and for the business side - you just need to say why your interested in it really
    like reading newspapers and current affairs
    do you have a part time job - if so say how the business you work for interests you and you want to learn more about how businesses operate
    that kind of thing
    wooo how cool! thats reassuring to know haha i never ever figured general studies would actually come in use for anything lol :rolleyes:

thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Brighton do it too! Might be a good insurance offer for you, perhaps? I wanted to go to Brighton, but I don't want to do business with it and they don't do Law just on it's own

ReputationRep:
    Well art and comms aren't ideal for Law. It would be preferable to have 2 strong humanity/essay based subjects. I'm not sure if your subject choices would cut it for a competitive course like that, despite the fact you could get the grades.

I think you might be alright for Business, though; especially since you have Maths AS Level.

Do you not think it would be better to do an art foundation year, then apply for Architecture next year?

ReputationRep:
    well i think general studies would come in useful
    even though its quite an easy a level
    its only easy if you've got common sense, good communication skills, can hold an arguement, look at the other side and then knock it down
    fundamental skills i would think for law
    if you aint got those your pretty much ******

although castelbajac's idea doesnt seem too bad
    but its up to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high_maintenance_girl)
    well i think general studies would come in useful
    even though its quite an easy a level
    its only easy if you've got common sense, good communication skills, can hold an arguement, look at the other side and then knock it down
    fundamental skills i would think for law
    if you aint got those your pretty much ******
    Although I agree that you need certain skills that are soughtafter in Law to be able to do GS, I don't think that universities asking for AAB would take it all that seriously.

Warwick Admissions. As you can see, they don't even include it as part of their offer.

OP, have you thought about maybe doing something like Marketing, where you can combine you creativity with business?

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeh warwick don't accept
    but they'll see it
    plus it reassures the OP that they will have the skills for the course

funnily enough - i wanted to do marketing first
    but ive found that with the modular system for business and law at warwick
    you can choose particular modules that will exempt you from some exams from the chartered institute of marketing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castelbajac)
    Although I agree that you need certain skills that are soughtafter in Law to be able to do GS, I don't think that universities asking for AAB would take it all that seriously.

Warwick Admissions. As you can see, they don't even include it as part of their offer.

OP, have you thought about maybe doing something like Marketing, where you can combine you creativity with business?
    indeed i have thought about it; it was what i was going to do before Architecture. I am still considering it, its just that combined with Law it might give me better prospects?

ReputationRep:
    OP - thats exactly why i have chosen to do business with law
    business is apprantely a mediocre course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    indeed i have thought about it; it was what i was going to do before Architecture. I am still considering it, its just that combined with Law it might give me better prospects?
    I think you should just have a good hard think about what you really want to do. Do you think you would be happier on a business/law course, or on an architecture course?

I was in a similar situation to you, but I chose the subject that at the end of the day, I would much prefer to do (which was incedently the one with "worse" prospects).

I think if you really wanted to do Arch, then you should apply to do a foundation year somewhere. Then you could come back even stronger and in a better position to apply next year. A true artist never abandons his art.

ReputationRep:
    i know, but Architecture is so focused i may find i dont enjoy it. Its not like you can do an A level in the subject...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.