Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegetarians - What are you having for Christmas dinner? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yorkshire puddings, Stuffing, Sausages, Gravy

But I'm not a Vegidiotarian!

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually bother with it. Last year i ate a pot of pringles Mmm.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah and haha just reminded me - last year i went to a new years meal at a church event thing. (we had warned them we were veggie. all the meat eaters dinners were brought out - they were having some form of meat, with carrots/turnips/sprouts/cabbage/mash/roast potatoes/yorkshire puds/stuffing, and gravy.

me, my dad, and my 9 year old brother (all veggie), awaited ours being brought out. expecting to have the same as the rest but either no meat or some sort of random meat substitute, and different gravy etc. but no. we had a complete seperate meal to the rest. which consisted of:

a small side plate, with some iceberg lettuce in the middle, cucumber and onion arranged neatly around the outside, and some tomatos in the middle. that was it. and the only bit out of that i even liked was the lettuce! (same for my bro). i had never seen a kid stare at his plate like that! lol he didnt half look longingly at my sisters plate whilst forcing some lettuce down himself!!

ReputationRep:
    I eat meat now but when I was a veggie my granny used to make me a nut loaf to go with all the veg, gravy etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)

a small side plate, with some iceberg lettuce in the middle, cucumber and onion arranged neatly around the outside, and some tomatos in the middle. that was it. and the only bit out of that i even liked was the lettuce! (same for my bro). i had never seen a kid stare at his plate like that! lol he didnt half look longingly at my sisters plate whilst forcing some lettuce down himself!!
    Lmao I'm on the floor here

ReputationRep:
    I used to either just leave out the meat and have whatever everyone else was having (used to fill up on roast potatoes and veg!) orrrrrrr have a nut roast. I like nut roast I'm not veggie anymore though - it's virtually impossible in this country (unless you never go anywhere for dinner ever).

ReputationRep:
    We don't have a proper Christmas dinner in my house anymore. We used to have a nut roast or Quorn roast thing. But now we just have lots of nibbles. Veggie sausage rolls, crisps etc. Almost like party food hehe. I prefer it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    Bugger me with a bent spoon! that makes pringles sound like a great christmas meal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    you weren't asking me, but most stuffing from a packet is veggie safe I think.

I personally put sausage meat in mine but it doesn't make much of a difference in taste tbh.

:love: sage & onion stuffing
    yuckkkkkkkkk - i cant believe people actually eat packet stuffing let alone for christmas dinner.

ou should be ashamed - but i spose veggies havent got a choice as the flavour of the stuffing comes from the meats juices dripping through it - so veggies can eat proper stuffing

ReputationRep:
    haha. they could have at least given us even some cabbage or something to make it a bit more interesting! though i think it was the roast potatoes, mash and yorkshire puddings that my bro had his eyes on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    yuckkkkkkkkk - i cant believe people actually eat packet stuffing let alone for christmas dinner.

ou should be ashamed - but i spose veggies havent got a choice as the flavour of the stuffing comes from the meats juices dripping through it - so veggies can eat proper stuffing
    i love packet stuffing!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Turkey
    I'll get my mum to disguise it amongst the vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    I usually get a quorn roast for my "meat", but sometimes I have Linda McCarntney toad in the hole cos that's one of my favourite things in the world! :coma:

ReputationRep:
    i thinkkkk nut roast and veggie quorn roasts are pretty yuckkyyyy. Far to dry, no amount of gravey can make up for it. i have my veg and tatoes with some herrrrby butter, then some sort of other thing to go with is like last year we had this roasted veggie/cheese/pastry thing and it was yummmmmmmyyyy

ReputationRep:

packet stuffing is actually pretty yummy. I'm indifferent to whether I have packet or from scratch and seeing as i'm the one making it i'll go for packet. anything to make christmas day less hectic tbh.

the flavour of the stuffing doesn't come from the meat juices unless you cook it with the meat...and i've never liked the taste/texture of it when it's cooked with the meat anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Last year my mum made nutroast because there were three of us who are vegetarian, this year though I'll probably just have mashed potato and veggies, I'm not too fussed about it... christmas is for chocolate anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be having the same as everyone else but with veggie sausages instead of turkey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Last year I was a vegetarian at Xmas and I had some sort of turkey substitute. Worst decision ever.
    The other day I had a Linda McCartney 'chicken-style' Vegetarian Roast.

Hmm. Interesting. Tasted ok with plenty of gravy and stuffing, but it wasn't exactly the yummiest thing on the planet!

ReputationRep:

Paxo all the way!

I am normally a 'from scratch' person - I like to make my own bread, I hate prepared veg, I wont buy shop-bought fairy cakes etc etc...but there is one thing I will never make from scratch, and that's stuffing! What on earth is the point?! It would never even occur to me to make my own stuffing!

Sage and onion's awesome, but Paxo also do a fantabulous cranberry one...yum yum yum!

(Original post by abc101)
    The other day I had a Linda McCartney 'chicken-style' Vegetarian Roast.

Hmm. Interesting. Tasted ok with plenty of gravy and stuffing, but it wasn't exactly the yummiest thing on the planet!
    I think this one was from Holland and Barrat and it was some kind of tofu balloon that inflated when cooked and then deflated when you stuck a knife into it.

Looked like a condom filled with soya.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.