Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegetarians - What are you having for Christmas dinner? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Some veggie sausages! And then all the usual stuff... yum!

Chips probably, hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    My mam and I are having veggie haggis for christmas dinner, a veggie option not limited to vegetarians (in that 1/3 of haggis' sold are vegetarian) and delicious.

Although normally I'll have a meat substitute thing, which are delicious if you cook them right (lumping it all together is like comparing a rare steak with KFC)!!

ReputationRep:
    The brazil nut and cranberry roast thingy that M&S have in this year. My family always does an M&S Christmas, and it's a lot easier just to go along with everything else and sub something else for the turkey/sausages/stuffing.

ReputationRep:
    We have a sort of homemade chestnut pie, called Chestnut and Red Wine Pate en Croute, from a book called Vegetarian Christmas by Rose Elliot. We (me and my mum) have it every year, whilst the rest of the family eats dead things, and then we all have the usual roast veg etc. :yep: It's a great alternative to the usual nut roast, so much so that the meat eaters usually want a bit of it, so I posted the recipe for anyone who's interested.

Ingredients
    25g/1 oz Butter or Margarine
    2 medium sized onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    50g/2 oz button mushrooms, sliced
    90ml/3fl.oz. Red wine
    175g/6oz tinned unsweetened chestnut puree
    75g/3 oz soft breadcrumbs
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    450g/1 lb flaky pastry
    a little beaten egg to glaze

Instructions
    1. Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the onions and fry for about 10 minutes until they are tender but not browned. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
    2. Pour in the wine and let it bubble for a minute or two until most of the liquid has gone, then remove from the heat and stir in the chestnut puree, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste.
    3. Preheat the oven at 230C, 450F, Gas Mark 8. Roll out the pastry to two strips, one 6” x 12”, the other 9” x 12”. Put the small strip on a baking tray and brush with water. Spoon the mixture on to the pastry, keeping ½” clear round the edge and piling it up into a nice loaf-like shape in the middle. Brush the edge of the pastry with water and top with the second piece of pastry. Press together lightly and trim the edges.
    4. Cut the trimmings into leaves and decorate the top. Make several holes to let out the steam. Brush with beaten egg or milk - put in the oven for 8 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 20 - 25 minutes. Freezes well uncooked.

ReputationRep:
    Just poatoes lots of veggies and some yorkshire puddings! I hate anything that resembles meat like quorn normally I just eat typical meals and add extra veg instead of the meat

ReputationRep:
    I'm having M and S vegetable kiev with the ususual vegetables, potatoes etc. If you haven't tried them, do because they are yummy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maya_beans)
    what are you having for your Christmas dinner all you veggi's / vegans out there?
    personaly im having nut roast, stuffing, quorn turkey, roasties and all loads of vegetables!!!
    yay

i'm usually vegan.

i'm gonna man up and have some turkey, unless it's duck as happened one Christmas, posh *******s.

ReputationRep:
    nut roast, roast veg, yorkshirepuds, gravy. yummy. i think the fake meat stuff is a bit stupid!

ReputationRep:
    We are having some kind of nut roast, loads of veggies, onion gravy. Mmm.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by michaela_banana)
    My mam and I are having veggie haggis for christmas dinner, a veggie option not limited to vegetarians (in that 1/3 of haggis' sold are vegetarian) and delicious.
    Ditto to this one! Love veggie haggis!

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same as everyone else except for I have Quorn while they have meat. Well, I won't be having potatoes or stuffing but that's nothing to do with the fact I don't eat meat - obviously - I just don't like potatoes and stuffing lol. Only I'm not a great fan of the Quorn Roast stuff so I'll just stick with Quorn sausages 'cause they're yummmmmy.

My sister (who is also veggie) will be having meat-free gravy with her dinner, but I insist on having ketchup with every single meal so gravy isn't an issue 'cause ketchup is yummier.

ReputationRep:
    Great, arguing aside (which is getting really boring when it appears in EVERY thread about vegetarians.. come on guys), I'll be having the 'Winter Bake' my gran makes every year for me and my dad.

..basically pastry, and a ******* of vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is just going to have a plate of vegetables

ReputationRep:
    Can we stop with the pathetic arguing please and just keep on topic? If you don't have anything to respond constructively to the question, why post?

I'll be having a fake meat veggie roast instead of turkey, which I really enjoy! I'll also be having vegetarian sausages to replace the meat ones that the rest of the family have, and a vegetarian gravy. Oh, and all the potatoes, vegetables, etc I love Christmas dinner!

ReputationRep:
    Let's keep this on-topic, guys. Anyone who tries to further derail the thread will be warned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    We have a sort of homemade chestnut pie, called Chestnut and Red Wine Pate en Croute, from a book called Vegetarian Christmas by Rose Elliot. We (me and my mum) have it every year, whilst the rest of the family eats dead things, and then we all have the usual roast veg etc. :yep: It's a great alternative to the usual nut roast, so much so that the meat eaters usually want a bit of it, so I posted the recipe for anyone who's interested. ...

Repped you for the recipe but completely forgot to ask how many it serves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

Repped you for the recipe but completely forgot to ask how many it serves?
    The recipe book is rather unspecific on this. However, it easily serves 4 in our experience. Because it freezes so well whilst uncooked, you can always just put it in two dishes if it looks like it might be too much, and then defrost it another day. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without leftovers, and unlike the meat eaters who traditionally get sick of turkey, I don't find that we get sick of this.

PS Thanks for the rep - a whole new gem!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe coolio - I want to try it out this weekend but kinda looked at it and went... I think this should serve 4... but then maybe not... and don't want to say I'll cook dinner for the family and then be like there's only enough for 2 people

ReputationRep:
    The usual roast dinner minus the meat plus a nut roast with tomato sauce.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.