The Student Room Group

Second degree funding

Hello, I hold an Undergraduate degree in Business Management and Entrepreneurship and I would like to ask if I will be eligible for funding (tuition fee and maintenance loan) for Integrated Masters degree in one of the following: Birkbeck University of London: Biomedicine with advanced pathways (MSCI): 4 years, full time UCAS Code C702; Queen Mary University of London: Biochemistry MSci (Hons) 4 years UCAS CODE C701; London Metropolitan University: Pharmaceutical science MSci 4 years UCAS code B231.
On the government website is written this:
"If you already have a degree
You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjects
architecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies
courses leading to qualification as a veterinary surgeon
You could also be eligible if you’re starting a healthcare course on or after 1 August 2017."
So, my understanding is that I can get funding for one of these courses. Can I please ask to doublecheck these for me? Thank you.
I believe STEM degrees (e.g. biomedical sciences etc) would only be eligible for funding if you do them part-time, unless the system has changed this year.
Hi Jenitu,

As you already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification - you would not be eligible to receive funding for those full time courses you have listed.

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

If you do decide to study part time biochemistry or pharmaceutical science, then it's possible for you to receive funding. If you do find a part time course, please let us know the name of the course and university and we can advise if you would be eligible to apply.

Thanks, Angela.
Reply 3
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi Jenitu,

As you already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification - you would not be eligible to receive funding for those full time courses you have listed.

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

If you do decide to study part time biochemistry or pharmaceutical science, then it's possible for you to receive funding. If you do find a part time course, please let us know the name of the course and university and we can advise if you would be eligible to apply.

Thanks, Angela.

Thank you for your reply.
Will I be eligible for funding for any of these part time courses:
Birkbeck University of London: Biomedicine (BSC): 4 year, part time
University of Westminster: Applied Biomedical science BSc Hons, 4 years, part time
University of East London: Biomedical science BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Medical physiology BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Pharmaceutical science BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Pharmacology BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Biochemistry and Biotechnology BSc Hons, part time

Thank you.
Original post by Jenitu
Thank you for your reply.
Will I be eligible for funding for any of these part time courses:
Birkbeck University of London: Biomedicine (BSC): 4 year, part time
University of Westminster: Applied Biomedical science BSc Hons, 4 years, part time
University of East London: Biomedical science BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Medical physiology BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Pharmaceutical science BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Pharmacology BSc Hons, part time
University of East London: Biochemistry and Biotechnology BSc Hons, part time

Thank you.

Hello,

The Course Management System (used by Universities/Colleges to share course information) is showing all course bar the below eligible as part time exception courses.

If you're referring to Birkbeck College for Biomedicine there is a 3 year part time course which is eligible.

Biochemistry and Biotechnology is only showing as full time at The University of East London- Ineligible.

Thanks, Lynsey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending