Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What constitutes a 'dusty solid' and a 'dense solid'. Would a dense solid just be like crystalline substances while 'dusty' is just dry powders etc?

ReputationRep:
    Dusty solids are ones that consist of fine particles which are easily moved around in air - sillica for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Dusty solids are ones that consist of fine particles which are easily moved around in air - sillica for example
    Ah ok, thanks , damn COSHH stuff >.<

ReputationRep:
    How can you distinguish between toxic, highly toxic and poisonous as well? Surely anything is poisonous if you ingest enough of it...hazard table I have for my experiment says its toxic, but i'm not sure if I should classify it as toxic or the next criteria up which is highly toxic/poisonous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptbigt)
    How can you distinguish between toxic, highly toxic and poisonous as well? Surely anything is poisonous if you ingest enough of it...hazard table I have for my experiment says its toxic, but i'm not sure if I should classify it as toxic or the next criteria up which is highly toxic/poisonous.
    you don't have to this has already been done for you - look up the MSDS sheets for compounds

I hate COSHH forms :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    you don't have to this has already been done for you - look up the MSDS sheets for compounds

I hate COSHH forms :shifty:
    Heh yeah....i'm starting to hate them.

ReputationRep:
    Always go for the MSDS! You'll generally find all the information you need to complete a risk assessment there.
    If you're interested to know, the difference between toxic and highly toxic is generally based on their LD50 or LC50 combined with how easy it is to obtain lethal exposure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.