The Student Room Group

PPE degree?

I'm wondering what I should do for my A-levels and degree to go into investment banking. I'm thinking of doing Philosophy, Economics and Politics for my A-levels and getting a PPE degree, as it seems more interesting to me than doing Finance.
My dream career is being an investment banker, but I think PPE would give me more options. What should I pursue? What A-levels should I do?
(edited 1 year ago)
A PPE degree is fine to get into Investment Banking. I know someone that did. What's your GCSE maths grade like? It should be at least a 7. But most successful PPE candidates have A Level maths anyway, and it's a requirement for some target universities.

If I were you, I'd drop one of your A-Levels and take up Maths instead.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by wiseowlz72
A PPE degree is fine to get into Investment Banking. I know someone that did. What's your GCSE maths grade like? It should be at least a 7. But most successful PPE candidates have A Level maths anyway, and it's a requirement for some target universities.

If I were you, I'd drop one of your A-Levels and take up Maths instead.

I got a 7 in GCSE Maths, and am currently taking my maths A-level early along with my other GCSEs. I had maths paper 1 yesterday, and after this exam I plan to properly start college. Should I maybe take further maths?
Original post by Akiasim
I got a 7 in GCSE Maths, and am currently taking my maths A-level early along with my other GCSEs. I had maths paper 1 yesterday, and after this exam I plan to properly start college. Should I maybe take further maths?

Well done on being so proactive! No, you don't need FM.
As above you'll need A-level Maths for the majority of PPE courses. Provided you achieve that, then it's fine. However bear in mind you don't need to do any particular degree to go into investment banking, you just need to go to a target uni. You could just as well do a degree in social anthropology or Anglo-Saxon and Norse studies. So I'd suggest picking a degree you actually have a vested interest in - then at least if you don't go into investment banking you can be satisfied your uni years were worth it for reasons other than purely job hunting reasons.
Original post by artful_lounger
As above you'll need A-level Maths for the majority of PPE courses. Provided you achieve that, then it's fine. However bear in mind you don't need to do any particular degree to go into investment banking, you just need to go to a target uni. You could just as well do a degree in social anthropology or Anglo-Saxon and Norse studies. So I'd suggest picking a degree you actually have a vested interest in - then at least if you don't go into investment banking you can be satisfied your uni years were worth it for reasons other than purely job hunting reasons.

^^
Makes you more interesting in interviews too!
Reply 6
Original post by wiseowlz72
Well done on being so proactive! No, you don't need FM.

Thank you! I've always enjoyed maths, but economics is definitely my favourite subject. I've seen a lot of people saying it would be more effective to take Finance or Accounting rather than Politics for investment banking types of careers. Would these be easier too? I've heard people say that Philosophy and Politics are hard, although they seem really interesting just from reading the specs.
Original post by Akiasim
Thank you! I've always enjoyed maths, but economics is definitely my favourite subject. I've seen a lot of people saying it would be more effective to take Finance or Accounting rather than Politics for investment banking types of careers. Would these be easier too? I've heard people say that Philosophy and Politics are hard, although they seem really interesting just from reading the specs.

Your A Levels subjects don't matter, as long as you get at least ABB-AAB. Please note that Finance is not an A-Level, but some certificate. I would avoid this. Sure, take Economics if it's your favorite, but drop either philosophy or politics. Whichever one you like the least, or could live with doing later. I'd personally go with philosophy - but if I had the true liberty to choose, I'd drop economics. It's taught very differently at university anyway. Economics at university is incredibly mathematical. You would do yourself an immense favor by taking up A Level mathematics. You must be fluent in calculus for such a discipline.
Original post by Akiasim
I'm wondering what I should do for my A-levels and degree to go into investment banking. I'm thinking of doing Philosophy, Economics and Politics for my A-levels and getting a PPE degree, as it seems more interesting to me than doing Finance.
My dream career is being an investment banker, but I think PPE would give me more options. What should I pursue? What A-levels should I do?

do maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending