The Student Room Group

history nea (AQA)

Hi, I'm currently doing my A01 part of my nea but struggling to do my research (mainly due to motivational issues). Dos anyone have any tips on how to start?
Reply 1
Original post by M.A.T.T.
Hi, I'm currently doing my A01 part of my nea but struggling to do my research (mainly due to motivational issues). Dos anyone have any tips on how to start?

What question have you chosen for your coursework? When I did mine (this year), I first looked at the question which for me was something about means of socio-political control in Russia, researched methods of control commonly used and built up evidence around that. If you let me know your question I might be able to point you in the right direction. I understand your struggle with motivation well, trust me your coursework gets much easier once you start.
Reply 2
Original post by KA1499
What question have you chosen for your coursework? When I did mine (this year), I first looked at the question which for me was something about means of socio-political control in Russia, researched methods of control commonly used and built up evidence around that. If you let me know your question I might be able to point you in the right direction. I understand your struggle with motivation well, trust me your coursework gets much easier once you start.

My question is were the actions of presidents or African americans the most significant in advancing African American Civil rights 1865-1970
Reply 3
Original post by M.A.T.T.
My question is were the actions of presidents or African americans the most significant in advancing African American Civil rights 1865-1970

Well look at that, my second year course was on the American dream between 1940 and 1980. I am not sure how you have been told to structure your coursework but we were told to choose three points. Firstly, i would compile evidence for the presidents' actions (look at legislation passed such as the Civil Rights Act 1964) as well as things such as JFK's open support of Martin Luther King (JFK called MLK's wife and reassured her he would support his release from prison). My second point would be about the protests of African American people, such as groups like CORE, SNCC, SCLC as well as actual protests. I cannot remember which group but one appealed the decision in Brown V Board of Education in the supreme court and won (I believe it was about segregation in schools and not sharing books between different schools). You could counter this point by saying that in the deep South, African American's were not as willing to protest as the Jim Crow laws were still in place and justice was rarely served for those who suffered violence and Lynching's (you could write about the murders of the Freedom Riders).
I have not done pre-1940's America and so couldn't accurately help you out there at this point in time.

Have you been given instructions on how to structure your coursework? I still have access to what I was given if you need it as well as America resources.
Reply 4
Original post by KA1499
Well look at that, my second year course was on the American dream between 1940 and 1980. I am not sure how you have been told to structure your coursework but we were told to choose three points. Firstly, i would compile evidence for the presidents' actions (look at legislation passed such as the Civil Rights Act 1964) as well as things such as JFK's open support of Martin Luther King (JFK called MLK's wife and reassured her he would support his release from prison). My second point would be about the protests of African American people, such as groups like CORE, SNCC, SCLC as well as actual protests. I cannot remember which group but one appealed the decision in Brown V Board of Education in the supreme court and won (I believe it was about segregation in schools and not sharing books between different schools). You could counter this point by saying that in the deep South, African American's were not as willing to protest as the Jim Crow laws were still in place and justice was rarely served for those who suffered violence and Lynching's (you could write about the murders of the Freedom Riders).
I have not done pre-1940's America and so couldn't accurately help you out there at this point in time.

Have you been given instructions on how to structure your coursework? I still have access to what I was given if you need it as well as America resources.

Yeah we've been told how to structure it and things so I think I'll be alright now. Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest