The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DreamsComeTrue.
i was just saying that our "location" is the same (check out mine) lol.

don't think i was clear........ we're in the same location (somewhere over the rainbow and in london) which is what i was trying to get across
sorry!
Reply 21
rakata
I thought the course at Oxford was quite old-fashioned and more reading stuff than practicing (for medicine). :s-smilie: I agree with the other people too, at least be realistic about it, otherwise you'll be really disillusioned when/if you get there

exactly! and it's the academic side that I soooooooooo love!
Reply 22
ADREAM
i am here.... over the rainbow, dreaming....
where exactly are you?
and anyways, wow, u guys really are INCREDIBLY supportive.... i think i need to just MATURE a little, yep there are downsides but don't you think the good bits far outweight them?
*sighs*

Well, no, not always. Initially everything seems all shiny with pretty picture-postcard images and world famous reputation and all, but then you get past that and actually have to LIVE it. My brother is at Oxford now- and he's really not happy there at the moment. He finds the place to be quite superficial a lot of the time and rather chlostrophobic.
He finds a lot of his work very stressful, and the general atmosphere in his college quite bad at times. Of course he really enjoys the teaching and has friends and all, but he's even said he regrets not having gone to UCL at times.
Reply 23
ADREAM
exactly! and it's the academic side that I soooooooooo love!

I don't know much about doing medicine at uni but surely being a doctor isn't just about reading all the time?! You have to be with people, not locked away in your room revising/learning (although I would imagine that's an important part of the course too lol)
Reply 24
Fillette
Well, no, not always. Initially everything seems all shiny with pretty picture-postcard images and world famous reputation and all, but then you get past that and actually have to LIVE it. My brother is at Oxford now- and he's really not happy there at the moment. He finds the place to be quite superficial a lot of the time and rather chlostrophobic.
He finds a lot of his work very stressful, and the general atmosphere in his college quite bad at times. Of course he really enjoys the teaching and has friends and all, but he's even said he regrets not having gone to UCL at times.

lol my friend's at UCL and she said it was all oxford rejects :smile:
it's kinda refreshing to hear something negative about oxford tbh, i think i'd feel the same as your brother if i was there :s-smilie:
Reply 25
rakata
I don't know much about doing medicine at uni but surely being a doctor isn't just about reading all the time?! You have to be with people, not locked away in your room revising/learning (although I would imagine that's an important part of the course too lol)

You don't know much but you're going to wade in anyway..?
Constructive.
Reply 26
rakata

well of course it isn't JUST about the academia... the patient-contact element is also key, but i'd love to get into research! i probably sound like a right geek but i love the academic side to medicine so much that i couldn't even imagine doing anything else!
:smile:
Reply 27
rakata
I thought the course at Oxford was quite old-fashioned and more reading stuff than practicing (for medicine). :s-smilie: I agree with the other people too, at least be realistic about it, otherwise you'll be really disillusioned when/if you get there

Well there is rather alot to be knowed :yep:
Reply 28
Fillette

the general college life quite bad? sorry, but can you expand on that a little please? bad as in boring, or bad bad?!?
rakata

i dunno, i think id like a doctor who knew about medicine
Reply 30
rakata

Yeah, I was told this by my friends mum today. That's why a lot of capable people apply elsewhere. All the best though, but be warned the title Oxford is a fantasy, but the reality is quite the opposite :smile:
Reply 31
rakata
lol my friend's at UCL and she said it was all oxford rejects :smile:
it's kinda refreshing to hear something negative about oxford tbh, i think i'd feel the same as your brother if i was there :s-smilie:

That's not a very nice thing to say about your own university! UCL is an excellent university, and shouldn't be degraded as a 'reject' university.
But yes, I just would be happy if people looked beyond all the starry-eyed stuff and looked at the reality, good and bad. It's so frustrating when people persist with their preconceptions about a place- and when you know from personal experience it's not necessarily that way!
DeanK2
You must be confusing Oxford with Cambridge.

nope, they both suck.
Reply 33
ADREAM
the general college life quite bad? sorry, but can you expand on that a little please? bad as in boring, or bad bad?!?

Well, a few other students that are at his college are quite inverted and aren't that open to different people really. I know that's not true for the majority of colleges though, my friends doing History of Art and she's very happy in her college. But it can be a reality that if you hit on a "bad" year- the intake isn't that great then it can affect the whole atmosphere in your college and the vibe between students.
I know a girl that studies at Cambridge, and she says that almost everyone takes everything as a competition. People are prepared to stab people in the back to get ahead. Maybe it's just her college, but it doesn't paint a good picture.
I've heard that in american colleges ALOT of people do drugs so they can stay up and study as much as possible. There is some sort of legal drug that you can take, so you don't sleep and it is performance enhancing. One word: WTF?
Reply 35
02mik_e

rakata

I thought the course at Oxford was quite old-fashioned and more reading stuff than practicing (for medicine).

Yeah, I was told this by my friends mum today.

Yes, during the ***Clinical*** half of the course we just twiddle our thumbs - cos we've already read every book & no-one is actually going to practice as a doctor. Or perhaps not, there's a clue with the emphasis there... :wink:

Anyhow, the 'old fashioned' approach to preclinical medicine here isn't just reading books, it's a more experimental science/first principles approach = anatomy/histology & practicals (physiology, pharmacology, pathology that sort of thing) with tutorials - which do require moving to someone else's room!
Reply 36
cucumber sandwich
I know a girl that studies at Cambridge, and she says that almost everyone takes everything as a competition. People are prepared to stab people in the back to get ahead. Maybe it's just her college, but it doesn't paint a good picture.
I've heard that in american colleges ALOT of people do drugs so they can stay up and study as much as possible. There is some sort of legal drug that you can take, so you don't sleep and it is performance enhancing. One word: WTF?

Sadly, it's true here as well. I have a mathematician friend at Cambridge at the moment and she's been taking performance enhancing drugs, including cocaine :s-smilie: It's awful because she feels like she needs to bge in competition all the time with her other "mathmos" and hence follows what the rest of her crowd are doing :rolleyes:
Reply 37
cucumber sandwich

wow...... that really is pretty damn CRAZY!
DreamsComeTrue.
well at least you can dream of going there, i don't even have the right to dream about it at all.. *sigh*

same :frown:
damn bad grades
Reply 39
Fillette
Sadly, it's true here as well. I have a mathematician friend at Cambridge at the moment and she's been taking performance enhancing drugs, including cocaine :s-smilie: It's awful because she feels like she needs to bge in competition all the time with her other "mathmos" and hence follows what the rest of her crowd are doing :rolleyes:

I Really don't get this! why so much competition within the uni? everyone who gets in must be top of the top, so why all this crazinesS?
:frown:

Latest