Turn on thread page Beta

I sooo want to go to Oxford! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    wow...... that really is pretty damn CRAZY!
    well, it happens. Lol at the performance enhancing drugs though :rofl:. Just make sure you research into oxbridge well, and decide if it's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    same
    damn bad grades
    well in my dream, everyone's entitled to dream!

ReputationRep:
    I probably sound like a right old fool, but i sooooooo want to go to oxford! :yep: it's unbelievable, i just can't stop thinking about what'd it'd be like there, in such an historic university... :rolleyes:
    but after the bmat, i'm pretty damn sure my dream is short lived
    anyone else feel the same?
    ay corumba. I feel the same, but about cambridge. I had my heart set on the place, everything is so perfect... daydream about being a medical ctudent there, riding a bike through the town. Then came the bmat..... :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    That's not a very nice thing to say about your own university! UCL is an excellent university, and shouldn't be degraded as a 'reject' university.
    But yes, I just would be happy if people looked beyond all the starry-eyed stuff and looked at the reality, good and bad. It's so frustrating when people persist with their preconceptions about a place- and when you know from personal experience it's not necessarily that way!
    A lot of the problem stems from the myth that is medicine - Oh its full of super-intelligent hardworking people who will make tonnes of money. Medicine is a very sexed up subject tbh.

Not the it isn't bloody brilliant and interesting at times. - But it can also be tedious ad nauseam.

ReputationRep:
    I Really don't get this! why so much competition within the uni? everyone who gets in must be top of the top, so why all this crazinesS?

Well, the majority don't get involved in this kind of thing of course. It's just certain circles of people. My friend has always been an extremely driven person who has basically self-taught everything as she didn't get enough support form our school. But she last year we noticed she started to take things to the extreme- working 16 hours a day to do her STEP revision, taking lots of "alternative" medecine to keep herself going. It was spiralling out of control really. She'd also built up this community of "mathmos" who had offers from Cambridge and they can be quite exclsuive really. Anyway, it has since transpired that since joining there in October she's been taking cocaine to "stay awake" sto do as much work as possible and fit in with her new friends. As soon as she comes back to London, I want to look after her and make sure she stops, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    ay corumba. I feel the same, but about cambridge. I had my heart set on the place, everything is so perfect... daydream about being a medical ctudent there, riding a bike through the town. Then came the bmat..... :0
    guess we're in the same boat lol
    oh well, these things happen.

Anyways, yeah i shouldn't get too worked up about it, after all i have 4 other choices that i can't neglect! although oxford is the only one OUTSIDE london... and seeing as i'd love to get away from home and be so much more independent (i soooo REGRET MAKING THESE CHOICES!) then oxford is the only other option.... (even though its NOT an option after the bmat....)

arghh, i'm getting worked up even here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fillette)
    Well, the majority don't get involved in this kind of thing of course. It's just certain circles of people. My friend has always been an extremely driven person who has basically self-taught everything as she didn't get enough support form our school. But she last year we noticed she started to take things to the extreme- working 16 hours a day to do her STEP revision, taking lots of "alternative" medecine to keep herself going. It was spiralling out of control really. She'd also built up this community of "mathmos" who had offers from Cambridge and they can be quite exclsuive really. Anyway, it has since transpired that since joining there in October she's been taking cocaine to "stay awake" sto do as much work as possible and fit in with her new friends. As soon as she comes back to London, I want to look after her and make sure she stops, though.
    omg, now that really is scary!
    but i guess i don't really fall into that kinda category!?! i mean, for my gcse's and as levels, i did very VERY little revision (the night before every exam - HONESTLY) and managed to do really well. i guess i just learn at school (even though its the crappest school you'd ever know) and am not too hyped up about keeping up with the crowd, etc.
    i guess i'm just a really relaxed guy

ReputationRep:
    guess we're in the same boat lol
    oh well, these things happen.

Anyways, yeah i shouldn't get too worked up about it, after all i have 4 other choices that i can't neglect! although oxford is the only one OUTSIDE london... and seeing as i'd love to get away from home and be so much more independent (i soooo REGRET MAKING THESE CHOICES!) then oxford is the only other option.... (even though its NOT an option after the bmat....)

arghh, i'm getting worked up even here
    ooh, i assume you live in london. Does that mean you've applied to imperial also??

oh yea, i also regret making my 'closer to home choices'... turns out one of them is 40minutes from home, so i'll be expected to catch a train rather than live there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    ooh, i assume you live in london. Does that mean you've applied to imperial also??

oh yea, i also regret making my 'closer to home choices'... turns out one of them is 40minutes from home, so i'll be expected to catch a train rather than live there
    yep - live in london. applied to imperial, kings(had interview last week - argh!), sgul, ucl (english), oxford.
    and you???

ReputationRep:
    yep - live in london. applied to imperial, kings(had interview last week - argh!), sgul, ucl (english), oxford.
    and you???
    nice selection you have there. I've applied to imperial also.. cambridge, bham and keele (interview this thursday.. wish me luck!)

have you heard a peep from imperial yet??... because i certainly havent :s

good luck with it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    nice selection you have there. I've applied to imperial also.. cambridge, bham and keele (interview this thursday.. wish me luck!)

have you heard a peep from imperial yet??... because i certainly havent :s

good luck with it though!
    good luck on your interview!
    imperial haven't said anything yet not even a confirmation

ReputationRep:
    good luck on your interview!
    imperial haven't said anything yet not even a confirmation
    aah well, we'll have to wait and see :/

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    While I have applied to go there, and dont get me wrong, I'd die of happiness if I get in, I'd be pretty damn stoked to go to any of my choices.

Honestly, if both Oxford and UCL were offering me a place, which in an ideal world would be the case, I would be in such trouble deciding which to choose.

Point is, by now, theres nothing we can do - if we get interviews, great, and if that is the case, make damn sure you dont **** it up. Thats my ideal at least.
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    BMAT has ruined my first and second choice.

*Pray for interview*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToriWS)
    BMAT has ruined my first and second choice.

*Pray for interview*
    same here! what college did you apply to btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pspri)
    ditto
    Nicely put!

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to go to Oxford? Its the same thing at the end of the day albeit with more work. Medicine really isn't as sexy as its hyped out to be.

ReputationRep:
    same here! what college did you apply to btw?
    i went open, and have been allocated LMH. Not really sure what its like though...

probs wont matter in the end.

how about you?

ReputationRep:
    It'd be cool to live at Merton College. Almost Legend - wait for it - dary!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.