Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How could I link non-linear dynamic systems (ie - deterministic chaos) to the study of dimension and its 'quirk's... i wrote about fractals, which leads to non-linear dynamic systems which is all fine and dandy.... but what's chaos' link to dimension??

thanks for any help!! much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there - when it comes to this level of maths I'm just an interested amateur, but have you talked about fractal dimension? By this I mean the fact that fractals have 'dimensions' other than what we might expect from looking at them: for example the Sierpinski Gasket has dimension log_2 3. This is also referred to as 'Hausdorff Dimension' or 'Hausdorff Measure'. This link: http://math.bu.edu/DYSYS/chaos-game/node6.html might be handy. Sorry if you know this all already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteAndNerdy1729)
    when it comes to this level of maths I'm just an interested amateur

:ditto:, it's a research paper
    i've already done that but thanks for the link!! i think it might be able to help!
    have you got any more that explicitly relate chaos and dimension to one other?

cuz i've gone dimension--> fractals--> fractal geometry & fractal dimension --> chaos in the essay

so whats the arrow in chaos --> dimension?

ReputationRep:
    A bit of googling found this link: http://www.somlev.net/chaos/index.html which has the promising title of 'Chaos, fractals and dimension' and includes several pages on 'Measuring Chaos', but a few pages in I stopped being able to follow the maths! Good luck with your paper and I hope you find the answer - sorry I wasn't much help!

ReputationRep:
    no, i think you just found me my answer!! :yep:
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

and props to your googling skills, mine must be failing me :p:

THANK YOU!!!!

ReputationRep:
    NP - Have fun writing it! How many words?

ReputationRep:
    up to 4000, have 1474
    but no limit in maths really, as a maths essay of 3500-4000words has way more content than an english essay of that word count, b/c thats discounting calculations, formulae, pictures, tables, diagrammes, etc

Thanks!! :o:

ps - i was reading the stuff, and the first link alone gives me answers to 3 questions so cheers!

EDIT: if you're really interested in this stuff, i could send it to you when i'm done, maybe you'll learn something new

ReputationRep:
    Ooh yes please! I'll PM you my email address. Glad to help out - when I'm in my fresher year and all confuzzled you'll help me out, right? :-D

And essays? In maths? I thought I'd escaped from all that after dropping English!

ReputationRep:
    yes, essays in maths (who woulda thought, honestly... its not like im doing my PhD right now :eek: :p: )

but yeah, in the IB the satndard and higher level students get portfolios, and my first one last year got up to 32 pages i think it was, that was a fun 3 days...

and in the IB we have to do this thing called extended essay, and i chose to do it in maths cuz the portfolios were fun, it was a challenge, interesting, and i might wanna study maths

you don't have this? but i see you take like further maths! :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.