Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There was an article in the Daily Mail today written by Derek Laud (a prominent black Conservative politician). He said that the Tories were only interested in him if he, (in his own words), "Write cheques, keep quiet and keep out." Furthemore, he then went on to say that they a difficulty believing black people could be "clever, independently minded, middle-class and patriotic." Here's the link to the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ay-Tories.html

Lets be honest. The Labour Party have done far more to achieve more equality in British politics. They appointed the first black person to cabinet and today there are more black and Asian councillors than ever before.

As for the Lib Dems, they fail to live upto thier name when it comes to equality. All of the Lib Dem MPs are white and they call temselves the 'Liberal Democrats'.

ReputationRep:
    Lol Derek Laud was happy to go with them when it helped him. Now he is of no use to them he plays the race card.

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect, they're Tories!

This is an actual Tory slogan from the sixties:

"If you want a ****** (starts with n, rhymes with figure) for a neighbour, vote Labour"

ReputationRep:
    If you read the Daily Mail......screw it I can't be bothered with this.

I wonder why the heck he chose the Daily Mail to air his grivences in. Surely your typical Guardan-reader would be more appauled. Saying that I read the Guardian and I'm not appauled, it's the Conservative party, what do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I gave that article a quick read and deduced that actually, the tories do not use black people at all. They shunt them abroad or into roles out of the public eye. That's the opposite of using them.

I would argue that Labour and the Lib dems "use" ethnic minorities in a bigger way. Using affirmative action to draw more support from minority groups.

ReputationRep:
    Derek Laud. *sniggers*

He was on Big Brother; say no more.

Mind you, so was George Galloway. :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)

Mind you, so was George Galloway. :shock:
    And look where he is now....:P:

ReputationRep:
    Really, never trust anything written in the Daily Mail

ReputationRep:
    1. DAILY MAIL.
    2. MPs are voted in by their constituencies, if there were more suitable, ethnic minority candidates, they would be voted in.
    3. Now if there is racism, how is it possible that said guy got to the position that he has? What about the other ethnic minority colleagues who have achieved top positions in our government? Whoever is being 'racist' is doing a really crap job at it.
    4. Black ethnic minorities make up around 2% of our population, therefore the ethnic diversity you witness is government is pretty representational of our society as a whole.
    5. This guy has an agenda. It seems to be very convenient that after years of 'racism' he only now decides to come forward.

(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    1. DAILY MAIL.
    2. MPs are voted in by their constituencies, if there were more suitable, ethnic minority candidates, they would be voted in.
    3. Now if there is racism, how is it possible that said guy got to the position that he has? What about the other ethnic minority colleagues who have achieved top positions in our government? Whoever is being 'racist' is doing a really crap job at it.
    4. Black ethnic minorities make up around 2% of our population, therefore the ethnic diversity you witness is government is pretty representational of our society as a whole.
    5. This guy has an agenda. It seems to be very convenient that after years of 'racism' he only now decides to come forward.

Too true. Why did he only now decide to come forward?

The article is hardly clear and concise and actually has no point.

It's repetitive and boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Too true. Why did he only now decide to come forward?
    Money is a pretty common motive.

Obama getting into power is just the type of climate to sell stories of alleged racism.

(Original post by sleekchic)
    The article is hardly clear and concise and actually has no point.

It's repetitive and boring
    All opinions and allegations.

If racism is that rife why aren't his ethnic minority, and even white, colleagues coming forward? Out of 100s of people he's the only guy speaking out?

These 'racist' people must have also been doing a really **** job if they've allowed this guy and countless other ethnic minorities to get key positions in the government (assuming it is there at all).

It's just like the Police Chief Tarique Ghaffur (who holds one of the most senior ranking and influential positions in the Police) making allegations of institutional racism and saying that this has prevented him from succeeding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)

"If you want a ****** (starts with n, rhymes with figure) for a neighbour, vote Labour"
    Most notably winning, which I think says more about society than the Tory Party of the time. Anyway, it's a ridiculous notion - it was not an "actual Tory slogan", it was what a Tory candidate in a relatively obscure seat once said, and for his trouble was turned into a "parliamentary leper" (to use Harold Wilson's words).

PS - I have no idea how you manage to make the n-word rhyme with figure...

ReputationRep:
    As for the Lib Dems, they fail to live upto thier name when it comes to equality. All of the Lib Dem MPs are white and they call temselves the 'Liberal Democrats'.
    That means nothing. However I wonder what position they take on positive discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)

That was 48 years ago, why bring it up?

The Democrats could be defined as racist a hundred years ago, now look who's their leader.

There was no point bringing that up.

And no, OP, they don't.

ReputationRep:
    That guy is titanic fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    That guy is titanic fail.
    I know, and I'm a Labour supporter.

Mr Laud could at least have talked to a reliable source who weren't going to take the first word and spin it out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I know, and I'm a Labour supporter.

Mr Laud could at least have talked to a reliable source who weren't going to take the first word and spin it out of proportion.
    I think we can all agree, regardless of political opinion, that bringing race into politics is dirty at best and cheating at worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I think we can all agree, regardless of political opinion, that bringing race into politics is dirty at best and cheating at worst.
    :yep: Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    That was 48 years ago, why bring it up?

The Democrats could be defined as racist a hundred years ago, now look who's their leader.

There was no point bringing that up.

And no, OP, they don't.
    I think you're offended at the wrong person here. :shifty:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.