Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've never had any relationships, I've never been on a date and I've never even kissed a guy. This is mostly because I just don't tend to fancy guys and the ones who have fancied me tend to be the shy ones who haven't acted on it or I've been too 'sensible' at parties. Also life before uni had a lot less choice - at school people are cliquey so you don't get to talk to new people much, at work everyone was older than me and basically I never really had the opportunity to meet new guys.

Now I've come to uni my life has changed quite a lot. I'm getting a lot more attention from boys (and I'm more into them too). I'd just like to mention that the kind of guys who I seem to be attracting are the more conscious ones who I meet at societies, not drunken lads from Halls who only want one thing.

The thing is is that cause I've never had relationships before I'm not really sure how to deal with this. I'm not used to the world of dating, I don't know the rules and conventions.

So pretty much I don't know how to react to any of this. And I don't want to come across as being really inexperienced either.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here...just thoughts I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Doing it the conventional way, with formal dates and stuff doesn't work as well for most people. Better to just knock on their door or something, or arrange to be in the same place at the same time where there's alcohol, get talking, and don't hold back!.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it and think about the etiquette later.

ReputationRep:
    yea that was pretty much exactly the same for me. I went to an all girls school so didn't have much chances of mixing with boys. plus my annoying inconfidence never helped as well.
    Coming to uni things have changed slightly. I'm coming out o my shell at bit more.

The only thing from what your saying bout metting people you fancy more at social events. is something i shold get more involved in.

i only ever seem to pull drunken guys on a night out lol. I want something more now.

ReputationRep:
    Just start talking to people...if they like you and vice versa, something will happen..

"Given time, love finds it way"

ReputationRep:
    How do you know their boys?

(Original post by Snookercraze)
    How do you know their boys?
    So what if they aren't?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Go wildddddddddddddd.lol

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So what if they aren't?:cool:
    What you bisexual?

I only tend to meet girls on nights out, so it's just one night stands for me when I'd prefer a relationship, but I can't meet anyone I want a relationship with.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh is difficult OP , but just be yourself enjoy being around people & talk2 as many as poss it will help your!!

ReputationRep:
    College life has introduced boys to me and i have alot more male friends than i used to :yep: Although this isn't necessarily a good thing because most of them are players and sex mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've never had any relationships, I've never been on a date and I've never even kissed a guy. This is mostly because I just don't tend to fancy guys and the ones who have fancied me tend to be the shy ones who haven't acted on it or I've been too 'sensible' at parties. Also life before uni had a lot less choice - at school people are cliquey so you don't get to talk to new people much, at work everyone was older than me and basically I never really had the opportunity to meet new guys.

Now I've come to uni my life has changed quite a lot. I'm getting a lot more attention from boys (and I'm more into them too). I'd just like to mention that the kind of guys who I seem to be attracting are the more conscious ones who I meet at societies, not drunken lads from Halls who only want one thing.

The thing is is that cause I've never had relationships before I'm not really sure how to deal with this. I'm not used to the world of dating, I don't know the rules and conventions.

So pretty much I don't know how to react to any of this. And I don't want to come across as being really inexperienced either.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here...just thoughts I guess.
    I know exactly how you feel! Basically I went to an all-girls school, i had male friends who I worked with... but who I was never interested in as more than just friends...

My advice... which I am attempting to follow, (not always managing to at times though) is to take each day as it comes, to be yourself, do what you feel is right... just go for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    me too...the only 'boyfriend' i have had was when i was 16....we were friends for really long time and suddenly i thought i felt different about him. (turns out it was just the stupid hormones)...he found out from my best friend because she hinted it to him (my best friend was also really good friends with him) so i thought lets just give it a try..but we were much better as friends because when he kissed me it felt so awkward; it probably lasted for abt 3s? and i pulled away and everytime we had the 'more than friends' talk i just wanted to puke haha, LOL since then i havent met anyone im interested in and now im 18 with no formal dating experience or previous relationships...im just gona 'go-with-the-flow' and see what happens i mean no one is born experiencing everything in life...so i'd probably make a few mistakes, make myself look stupid but ah well..we all learn from them right? so i guess thats my advice for u 2

ReputationRep:
    stop overthinking every little ******* thing

fool

ReputationRep:
    I feel very similar to you, I "dated" a boy when I was 8 - nothing really happened to be honest and we ended up at different secondary schools and grew apart. I was always the nerdy, fat girl in the corner at school and I didn't talk with guys much. I almost ended up dating a guy about 2 years ago (when I was 18/19) but we were both to shy to let each other know how we felt.

I've been at uni 8 weeks now and seem to be finding myself in the world of dating. I've ended up kissing one guy but no further and ended up with another on Friday but I'm unsure of how to handle things too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.