Learning about the ideal physics models

Watch this thread
reterty 21
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am now studying the problem of forming students' concepts of ideal physical models (material point, ideal gas, ideal optical system, thin lens, paraxial rays, free particle, etc.). So, it appears that at the first stage it is necessary to consider definitions, essential features, and various applied aspects of the application of such models in science (the study of the object "from the inside"). And the "final chord" can be the generalization of such models, that is, the consideration of the properties and features of generalized models (the study of "outside"). It seems that such a de-idealization method can help to understand more deeply the limit transition models ; understand their connections with other models and better understand the limits of applicability. However, here I ran into the problem of substantiating such a "pedagogical method" from both psychology and pedagogy, with the problem of arguing the need for its implementation in the university. In other words, "the particular cannot be fully understood in depth without examining the features of the more general."
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Tell me more. I can help but require more details of your assignment.
reterty 21
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tinyperson)
Tell me more. I can help but require more details of your assignment.
Ok. Let us consider several examples.
1) The thin lens model If we take into account the finite lens thickness, then new quantitative and even qualitative effects can be observed. http://www.eu-journal.org/index.php/...ticle/view/143
2) The paraxial approximation. If we take into account the finite values between optical axis and incident rays, then new quantitative and even qualitative effects can be observed http://www.revistacubanadefisica.org...ew/2020v37p084
3) The model of conductor with fixed cross-section and length We can explore the influence of variable (along the length) cross-section of some conductors on the final results of the rsistance. https://www.scielo.br/j/rbef/a/YmdXR...en&format=html

In all of these cases we employ the de-idealization procedure, that is, construction of extended (or, genaralized) in some manner models. It gives us the possibility to test (probe) initial (limiting) models, to evaluate their applicability limits.
Last edited by reterty 21; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads