Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have same offeris from both uninersties, so maybe you can say wich is better? I will study economics L100, I am from Lithuania so I don't know very well what is in these universities :confused: thanks you and I think I will live in home and will work part time, so talk and about towns, thanks one more time

basketboy

ReputationRep:
    Hi I believe you posted this back in September

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post14359875

I meant to reply to your questions about Newcastle but couldn't find the thread, sorry. I'll be more than happy to answer your questions now. I'm not an expert on its economics course, so I'll leave that to the experts, but I could give you some information about the city.

It's major city, but not large and sprawling some some big cities, if you see what I mean? It's quite compact and easy to get around. So you don't really need to use public transport and, if you do, it has one of the best integrated public transport systems in the country and the cost is reasonable.

It also has a fairly low cost of living, it's one of the country's cheapest cities to live/study in. Of course, parts are still very expensive, but even in the student-type areas (which include the cheapest/more modest houses in a very wealthy area, Jesmond) the cost of rent and things isn't particularly large.

What do you mean about finding a job? What sort of a job? There's no great shortage of them, particularly in the usual office-based and admin work if that's what your interested in?

Is there anything else you want to know (nightlife? surrounding area?)

ReputationRep:
    And thank you for answered my questions about job, first off all I will come and I would like work anything just I must have work, because parents don't give me money for living and studying, about glasgow you can say anything? And I would like to know more about nightlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketboy)
    And thank you for answered my questions about job, first off all I will come and I would like work anything just I must have work, because parents don't give me money for living and studying, about glasgow you can say anything? And I would like to know more about nightlife
    Both Newcastle and Glasgow are ABB.1 But they have different Newspaper League Table ratings. Glasgow is (18,17,18) whilst newcastle is (32,27,50). So maybe Glasgow is better for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Both Newcastle and Glasgow are ABB.1 But they have different Newspaper League Table ratings. Glasgow is (18,17,18) whilst newcastle is (32,27,50). So maybe Glasgow is better for Economics.
    I know about these universities ratings, but also i would like to know more about Glasgow city and just economics departaments.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think I covered the main points about Newcastle in the last thread, but just as a summary then: -

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne is a lively university city located in the North East of England. There is plenty to do and see but also time and space in which to relax and enjoy yourself. One of the most famous sights is the 'Tyne Bridge', which was the world's largest single span bridge until its famous cousin in Sydney, Australia was opened.The local people have a reputation for being very friendly to visitors.

Nightlife in Newcastle

The city has an excellent selection of over 200 restaurants, many of which are international, offering a wide variety of dishes from all over the world as well as local cuisine.

Newcastle is also famous for its wonderful pub culture and there are many lively bars to suite all tastes as well as the traditional pubs where people can just enjoy the real ale and conversation. If you prefer something quieter, there are a growing number of cafe bars selling lots of different snacks and meals.The most famous area for nightlife is the Quayside, especially at weekends.The clubs vary from small independent and alternative venues to mainstream dance clubs and most offer special discounts for students during week days.

Arts and Culture in Newcastle

NewcastleGateshead is one of the finest places in Europe for arts and culture. The Sage performance arts centre, Baltic art Gallery and Millennium Bridge combine to produce one of the most attractive river front scenes in the world.

Newcastle is the second home of two of the world's most famous theatre companies, namely the National and Royal Shakespeare Companies, and the National Opera visits the city regularly.

Shopping in Newcastle

Newcastle is the fifth largest shopping destination in Great Britain with over 40 million people visiting our shops each year. Newcastle has Europe's largest city centre shopping complex (Eldon Square) and slo Europe's largest out of town shopping centre (MetroCentre). Overrated if you ask me but, if you like shopping....the MetroCentre also had Europe's largest indoor theme park. However, this was closed down a few months ago and is being used as a space for the centre's cinema to re-locate to and expand in.

Sport in Newcastle

The city is famous for it's football team, Newcastle United which has had many world class players such as Alan Shearer and Michael Owen. The city is also becoming well known for its rugby and basketball teams as well as producing some of the worlds finest athletes. If you are more interested in playing sports, there are many halls, clubs, pitches and tracks where you can play and practise your favourite game as well as the famous 'Great North Run' - the world's biggest annual half marathon.

Some interesting facts about Newcastle

Newcastle was recently voted the eighth best party city in the world by American travel experts Weissman Travel and was the only British city to make it onto the list! Newcastle has also been voted second best city in Europe for social life, and in a recent poll of office workers and students it was voted the best city in England for work and study.

I've taken this from the website of a teaching college or company of some sorts (I'm probably not allowed to link to it as it may be classed as advertising). It provides a useful summary.

There's also the Visit Newcastle-Gateshead site

http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/cityguideIndex.php?

But just be aware that it's there largely for tourist/avertising purposes. It's essentially ytue. For example, ever since Newcastle and Gateshead launched a bit to become European capital of culture (an award Glasgow won in 1990, by the way) there has been a lot of "buzz" and excitement surrounding the area's "world class culture". However, calling it world-class is misleading and just plain wrong. Newcastle can rival any city in the country, outside London, but I don't think it's culture is "world class" and can compete with Paris, Berlin, Florence, Athens. It does have great theatre and opera, some fantastic architecture (it's arguably one of the most attractive city centres in the country) but I still think it can't be called "world class". The city, and surrounding area, does have some fantastic heritage, museums and sites of historical interest (including two World Heritage Sites, Hardian's Wall and Durham castle and cathedral). So, if you like your countryside and historical monuments as much as you like your clubbing and nightlife then it's a great mix.

But, if we're talking about just nightlife alone, then I don't think Newcastle deserves to be in the top ten cities of the world, or rated quite as highly as it is. I don't really see what's so great about its clubs compared to other cities. Then again, I'm not really one for clubbing so perhaps I'm an unfair judge. Although I may remain quite indifferent about much of Newcastle's nightlife (especially its clubbing scene) others seem to love it. You get people coming from the continent on a weekend out. So, maybe I'm just weird....Anyway, just to remind you that although the summary I've produced earlier is how many people see it it's still subjective.

Glasgow's also a fantastic city with its own famous vibrancy and, in terms of city living (I think I'd probably chose Glasgow. Although Newcastle has a great local music scene, it doesn't get the same number of touring bands as Glasgow (although still enough). So Glasgow can offer a good local music scene and a larger number of touring acts. So if you like music, Glasgow could be a great choice. Overall I still prefer Newcastle, due to its fantastic range of countryside and heritage nearby, but Glasgow offers just a high standard of city living and has its own countryside further afield.

Although Glasgow university is a Scottish ancient and the university is attractive. However, I know nothing about its economics department.

I wouldn't say there's any great difference between the two in employment opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    wow.... you are amazing really thank you for this information, but I don't know what uni choose.. Glasgow is better in ratings, but newcastle is better like city to me so hmm I need really good think what uni choose, thank you one more time,

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.