Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I was wondering what did everyone do for their bursary? I haven't had one so far for university and was I right in thinking we get one if we are doing the PGCE? Could anyone shed any light on this?

Btw I have to start my personal statement - deadline is 15th for me!! Although my referees are already finished I think. *sigh* I'm tearing my hair out over this. It's not like anyone else I know is doing it and if I need career's advice it's a real pain to sort out!

ReputationRep:
    You get £6000 I think for primary, or it may be cut down for next year, I can't quite remember. Anyway, when you accept an offer and meet it, you'll receive some stuff from the university, one sheet of paper will be for you to fill in your bank details. The bursary will be paid into your account directly starting in October. I got my info around the end of July and it was all sorted for me with no problemo.

I'm assuming you mean BURSARY not STUDENT LOAN?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    You get £6000 I think for primary, or it may be cut down for next year, I can't quite remember. Anyway, when you accept an offer and meet it, you'll receive some stuff from the university, one sheet of paper will be for you to fill in your bank details. The bursary will be paid into your account directly starting in October. I got my info around the end of July and it was all sorted for me with no problemo.

I'm assuming you mean BURSARY not STUDENT LOAN?

Yeah a bursary - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Btw - how much does a PGCE course cost anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees are around £3,145. Then obviously living costs etc on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Tuition fees are around £3,145. Then obviously living costs etc on top of that.
    Thank you very much for your fast help :o:

ReputationRep:
    ok...allow me to "shed some light"... For a primary PGCE the current bursary is £4000 (£2000 if studying in Wales). This is a bursary and in NON means tested. Providing the government doesn't change this amount over this year, then you will definately get it. We get a non means tested grant towards fees (i think this is about £1500) and then the rest is means tested. There is an additional means tested maintenance (non repayable) grant available. Student loans can also be accessed.

This isn't difficult information to come across; just do some research. Here, try this link: http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetra...inengland.aspx

ReputationRep:
    I should add that the bursary for secondary subjects is £6000, and £9000 for those doing subjects which have a shortage of teachers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.