The Student Room Group

How important are A Level predicted grades for getting onto a University course?

I am in first year and we have end of year exams coming up, which will form the majority of the basis for our predicted grades. I have great GCSE results, and so my current predicted grades are A*A*A* simply because of this. However, they'll likely drop after these exams. If my preferred uni course has the entry requirements A*AA, and I get predicted below that, am I still able to apply and will I still get considered equally to if my predicted grades were within the entry requirements?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by M_7
I am in first year and we have end of year exams coming up, which will form the majority of the basis for our predicted grades. I have great GCSE results, and so my current predicted grades are A*A*A* simply because of this. However, they'll likely drop after these exams. If my preferred uni course has the entry requirements A*AA, and I get predicted below that, am I still able to apply and will I still get considered equally to if my predicted grades were within the entry requirements?

Predictions should not be based on GCSE results nor on one set of exams ...

You do need predictions close to grades required especially on popular courses. Which degree are you thinking of?
Original post by M_7

Impossible to say for certain but at those grades courses are likely to be choosy. They are very likely to be over subscribed and often wont just want to meet the grades but exceed them. In those cases not meeting predicted grades would lead to rejections.

It is however very difficult to be certain. Next year the number of people reaching grades might fall and that will have an impact. Predicted grades are very unreliable and teachers usually over predict. It is impossible to say what will happen next year although it does suggest you will probably get rejected by universities requiring very high grades,
Many Unis/subjects will consider applicants with predicted grades just below the entry requireemnsts - there are no guarantees of an offer of course, but its worth the risk.

The usual advice for your 5 UCAS choices is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a crucial subject.
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade

Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year.
Original post by M_7

A-level predicted grades should never be based on GCSE results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending