Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love running but as it gets darker in the mornings and evenings I'm finding it increasingly hard to be able to get out as often. Weekdays last week was virtually impossible, i am only able to do it at the weekends, but i want to keep running and exercising during the week too
    So i was wondering if you knew of any fat burning exercises i could do in my home in the morning. I've tried fitness videos but i dont like them at all.

Any advice? xxxxxxx

You kidding? I love running in winter! Better insulate yourself, stay hydrated, and keep energy levels up by eating before and after training.

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with running in the dark? i just stick to the well-lit roads and away from the woods

ReputationRep:
    My advice is get a gym membership; the treadmills are dead fun!

But seriously, rowing machines are also dead good for aerobic fitness and muscular endurance, both of which you need to run.
    Failing that, do some circuits in your room. Say 1 minute of continuous press-ups, sit-ups, squat-thrusts and back-hypers, and do four sets in total.

ReputationRep:
    Check out the FITNESS STICKY.

Burpee Conditioning.

Resistance Training.

Tabata.

...few ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, who said join a gym and go on a treadmill?

Find a well lit area and run. The dark makes it more fun I find. I enjoy it more. Either that or haul yourself out of bed a wee bit earlier. It's light by 0700 now. If you must, get a headtorch and run with that on!

ReputationRep:
    Winter is a total ******* for running

Cold, wet, dark.

Give me a lovely summers day please!

ReputationRep:
    I love running in the dark, more so when its cold and wet. In fact I don't run at any other time, the past few weeks ive been going out in just a T-shirt and shorts and doing my stuff - you get used to it pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Circuits sessions at home could be a good idea during the winter. I know they've come in handy for me when I've been unable to get exercise in during the daylight hours but I know I need to get some done. Incorporate things like burpees, pressups, sit ups, harvards etc.

ReputationRep:
    I keep a cross trainer in my garage, it's so good as it means I can exercise in the rain, snow, sleet or sunshine.

ReputationRep:
    I find running in the cold much easier than running when it's warm. Half of my fitness problems are as a result of getting too hot, so winter is perfect for helping control that.

ReputationRep:
    Running in inclement weather is something I find remarkably motivating. Once I get out of the door. One small step, and you're there. Wear a hi-vis, run lit streets, and keep your wits about you. You're more likely to see cars at night thanks to headlights (provided they are on!).

ReputationRep:
    I take my workouts inside during winter. There are probably loooads of classes at your nearest gym, giving you lots of variety!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.