The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Unit 2 Biology 2022

How'd it go for people, questions were relatively easy and last question was a god send, however I had a very bad exam day and just felt ill in the middle of the exam, so I don't think I did as well as I hoped.
Reply 1
I thought it was good too, some of the plant q's were difficult, can you remember any answers ?
Original post by EI2478
I thought it was good too, some of the plant q's were difficult, can you remember any answers ?

Yeah I mean which questions in specific were you thinking, the first question I was unsure with tbh, where you had to identify which chamber of the heart the arrow was pointing at in the picture of the Transverse section through the heart, what did you label it as?
Reply 3
Original post by Aspiringdentist6
Yeah I mean which questions in specific were you thinking, the first question I was unsure with tbh, where you had to identify which chamber of the heart the arrow was pointing at in the picture of the Transverse section through the heart, what did you label it as?

I said right ventricle, u?
Can anyone tell me what the questions were? I won't get my hands on a copy until tomorrow but dying to know what the plant content was about?
What did you guys get for the birds question on classification where it had pictures of many birds. I thought the four marker was about natural selection but not anymore. i also thought the first question on the tissue layers of atria was tunica media, externa and initima but i also think its wrong. the 5 marker on the dissociation curves of the two worms was so bad.
Original post by EI2478
I said right ventricle, u?

Same, let's hope we are right
Reply 7
This unit 2 was a much kinder paper than unit 1 I actually finished it this time and thought the maths questions were quite easy. Hooleeaa I put down natural selection for the birds too, I put about the curved beak being a selective advantage. Completely went blank on the atria layers as I'd been studying gut layers that morning. I struggled most on question 1 about the heart and the experiment about bile salts was tough but was ok with the worms!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hooleeaa
What did you guys get for the birds question on classification where it had pictures of many birds. I thought the four marker was about natural selection but not anymore. i also thought the first question on the tissue layers of atria was tunica media, externa and initima but i also think its wrong. the 5 marker on the dissociation curves of the two worms was so bad.

Birds question was weird...
I talked about the whole evolution thing initially, bit then talked about how different mutations give selective advantage to consuming different food types, causing those species with the mutations to survive and pass on alleles. For tissue layers I put tunica media, tunica externa and tunica intima( endothelium) idk if I'll get the mark because I put '(endothelium)'.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by creesbiology
Can anyone tell me what the questions were? I won't get my hands on a copy until tomorrow but dying to know what the plant content was about?

Its a bit fuzzy now but from what I remember (not particularly in the right order) Question 1 was about the heart, valves graph, maths questions working out beats per minute & an applied maths question. Question 2 was about gas exchange in flatworms and earthworms, locusts & dissociation curves of worms Question 3 was about digestions asking for chemical and mechanical digestion definitions, labelling on a diagram of the body and then an applied question about an experiment involving bile salts and lipase enzymes Question 4 Biodiversity questions filling in the blanks on a kingdoms table, filling in a phylogenetic tree based on hybridisation results and explanation on hybridisation. Maths question working out a percentage of birds that were native and a question showing birds evolving and wanting an explanation as to why Question 5 was about plants showing a diagram of a phloem and xylem experiment and having to comment, had to identify a material on the xylem and explain its function. Radioactive experiment on plants and had to explain it with pictures to identify structures Question 6 asked for the adaptations of taenia and pediculus. Thats about the gist of it I think!
Oh for that I started talking about homologous structures and their divergent evolution because they all had a common ancestor and similar beaks but they all fed on different food sources? I’m probably wrong haha
Original post by MrsOWEN
Its a bit fuzzy now but from what I remember (not particularly in the right order) Question 1 was about the heart, valves graph, maths questions working out beats per minute & an applied maths question. Question 2 was about gas exchange in flatworms and earthworms, locusts & dissociation curves of worms Question 3 was about digestions asking for chemical and mechanical digestion definitions, labelling on a diagram of the body and then an applied question about an experiment involving bile salts and lipase enzymes Question 4 Biodiversity questions filling in the blanks on a kingdoms table, filling in a phylogenetic tree based on hybridisation results and explanation on hybridisation. Maths question working out a percentage of birds that were native and a question showing birds evolving and wanting an explanation as to why Question 5 was about plants showing a diagram of a phloem and xylem experiment and having to comment, had to identify a material on the xylem and explain its function. Radioactive experiment on plants and had to explain it with pictures to identify structures Question 6 asked for the adaptations of taenia and pediculus. Thats about the gist of it I think!

What do you mean label the human body?😳I don't remember that!
Re digestion. There was a human body picture and you had to state the site of lipase and bile production I think 🤔
Original post by MrsOWEN
Re digestion. There was a human body picture and you had to state the site of lipase and bile production I think 🤔

Oh yes. What did you say for lipase ? I said liver for bile I think😬
Original post by EI2478
Oh yes. What did you say for lipase ? I said liver for bile I think😬

I said liver for bile and pancreas for lipase
Original post by MrsOWEN
I said liver for bile and pancreas for lipase

ye same, thank god!
How's everyones results
Original post by Aspiringdentist6
How's everyones results

Got an A!

Quick Reply