Best LGBT+ representation in the media (including TV/film)?

Watch this thread
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There has been a great increase of LGBT+ representation in media in recent years - some of which has been absolutely fantastic, and others less so. In this thread, let's just focus on the positives! What do you consider the best examples of LGBT+ representation in the media?
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1582)
There has been a great increase of LGBT+ representation in media in recent years - some of which has been absolutely fantastic, and others less so. In this thread, let's just focus on the positives! What do you consider the best examples of LGBT+ representation in the media?
I love different topics being represented. I think the 'coming out' stories in TV shows etc are really important - but I also love when someone happens to be LGBT+ and there's no need for coming out and everyone is just accepting too, just one part of the character and not made into an issue.

I also love it when the actors themselves are LGBT+, when it comes to TV/film etc. - I find it adds to the authenticity.

I love public figures e.g. Youtubers/Instagramers who are LGBT+ too.

*warning: possible spoilers if you read ahead, but most shows are years old so yeah*

A few of the many amazing TV/film representation/couples for me:
- Waverly and Nicole in Wynonna Earp
- Lauren and Bo in Lost Girl
- Cosima and Delphine in Orphan Black
- Many of the couples/characters from the L word, including L word generation Q.

I'm very much against when there's a pattern of LGBT+ characters being killed off *cough* Clexa from The 100 *cough* - although this seems to be reducing thankfully.
Caring54321
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1582)
Heartstopper Nick and Charlie
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Caring54321)
Heartstopper Nick and Charlie
Yes! I love Heartstopper and those characters Looking forward to the next series!
eleanor65
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1582)
Definitely Heartstopper! They had an LGBTQIA+ representative as part of the creative team and they're planning for more representation of the wider queer community in the next few seasons, I'm very excited and loved the show
Last edited by eleanor65; 1 month ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
im curious about your opinion on this 1582/OP as you've mentioned you've been watching a lot of of LGBT+ media recently?
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1582)
Just curious, what is representation? Is it just people of the LGBT community being present in media or something more?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't watch it anymore (coz I don't watch TV generally!) but Grey's Anatomy has had loads of LBGTQ+ representation over the years :yep:

Also, I know Disney haven't confirmed it (and they probs never will) but I do love how one can view Elsa from Frozen as a lesbian Queen
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Even Emmerdale has a couple of gays, a few lesbians, and a trans lad.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Vanya/Viktor in Umbrella Academy..
Foxehh
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Schitts Creek's a good one.
harshinikr_7
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The handmaiden is good,,,its a classic lesbian film with an insanely good plot- 10/10 would reccomend
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
34.78%
Take a gap year (5)
21.74%
Resit my exams (6)
26.09%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
8.7%
I don't know yet (1)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads