Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    seeing as i just got fired (well really i got fired around 2 weeks ago) i was just wondering what are your general feelings about the union?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astudentinneed)
    seeing as i just got fired (well really i got fired around 2 weeks ago) i was just wondering what are your general feelings about the union?

Do you mean bar staff/steward/receptionist/sabb/what?

ReputationRep:
    any of them

ReputationRep:
    The bar staff always seem pretty cheerful, the stewards are like bouncers and never seem to smile, the sabbs are fun but you need to be elected to be one, and people like me in the student activities centre just do lots of filing and general reception-y jobs

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if i've seen you yet in the sac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astudentinneed)

How on earth did you manage to get fired from the Union.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks ago, they told me if i dont improve i wont be able to work

come last wednesday, i tried to ask about it, but it was clear i was fired no matter what i did, cue, the self-fulfilling prophecy, a dropped rate of respect to the people in charge, some almighty coincidence that made me look bad and which they probably think im responsible, and here we go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aria57)
    Possibly, but probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aria57)
    I've seen 'im in the sack. :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a trial run sometime this week. Does anyone know what that involves / do i definately have a job?

ReputationRep:
    I technically work behind the bar but haven't done so for ages. I'd say you have the job easily, they don't really have very high standards.

ReputationRep:
    I worked a few shifts in the bar last term. On my last shift, the washing machine had broken down, and I was asked to scrub the gunk/calcium deposits off using a brush and some sort of foul-smelling, chlorine-based bleach thing. I spent several hours scrubbing. To be fair, the managers were really nice - they made sure I kept a scarf to cover my mouth and nose to stop breathing in hazardous fumes and gave me an endless supply of gloves, and let me swap with another person on shift for the last hour or two. That wasn't what put me off going back there - not just to work but for leisure. While the washing machines were broken down, I was told off for washing the glasses slowly. I was asked only to rinse, and there was no need for detergent apparently.
    I am never going back there for a drink or to work. It was fun to start, but when the day after a shift you find your hands peeling from using cleaning products which isn't really part of your job description....

ReputationRep:
    Whoever does can't pour ******* beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarwhirl89)
    I worked a few shifts in the bar last term. On my last shift, the washing machine had broken down, and I was asked to scrub the gunk/calcium deposits off using a brush and some sort of foul-smelling, chlorine-based bleach thing. I spent several hours scrubbing. To be fair, the managers were really nice - they made sure I kept a scarf to cover my mouth and nose to stop breathing in hazardous fumes and gave me an endless supply of gloves, and let me swap with another person on shift for the last hour or two. That wasn't what put me off going back there - not just to work but for leisure. While the washing machines were broken down, I was told off for washing the glasses slowly. I was asked only to rinse, and there was no need for detergent apparently.
    I am never going back there for a drink or to work. It was fun to start, but when the day after a shift you find your hands peeling from using cleaning products which isn't really part of your job description....
    i was also told off for cleaning the glasses properly

i mean rinsing? what kinda place was i working at!?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.