ArticFlames
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've been looking at Loftus and Palmers eyewitness testimony study and was looking at past papers but I can't find the answer to this uestion (It might be good for my notes). Would someone mind helping me with this:

1. From the study of Loftus and Palmer's eyewitness testimony outline two features of the procedure that were standardised?
JessLM14
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
AAARRGHH Loftus takes up like 40% of my EE.
define standardised and I can probably help you.

that sounds like an outrageous request, but I'm an idiot.
ArticFlames
Rep:
?
(Original post by JessLM14)
AAARRGHH Loftus takes up like 40% of my EE.
define standardised and I can probably help you.

that sounds like an outrageous request, but I'm an idiot.
lol your not an idiot...standardised-to come into conformity to a standard. (dictionary since I'm not 100% sure myself:shifty: )

Wow 40%? must be a pain:yep:

also sorry for the miss spelling the Q on my laptop sticks and I didn't notice:rolleyes:
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
surely just look at the procedure, and find things that would be necessary for the study to be replicated successfully? things that are standarised, like in a questionnaire study, the questionnaire would be standardised i.e. each one the same.

so maybe...they showed all participants the same video.
JessLM14
Report 12 years ago
Think "squeak" has it there.
This is the "weapons focus" test isn't it? where some get shown a gun, some get shown a piece of paper?

If that's right, then yeah. They got shown the same videos, got asked the same questions etc.
I hate loftus, even though the woman's pretty clever.

hope that helps
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JessLM14)
Think "squeak" has it there.
This is the "weapons focus" test isn't it? where some get shown a gun, some get shown a piece of paper?

If that's right, then yeah. They got shown the same videos, got asked the same questions etc.
I hate loftus, even though the woman's pretty clever.

hope that helps
no..eyewitness testimony one, is the speeding cars one, is it not? Leading questions?
ArticFlames
Rep:
?
yeah it's the speading cars one^_^ Thanxs for the help at least I understand the question now (I think). So it's basically asking what needs to stay the same for it to work if tried again?
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it's a guideline, but it's not the exact way to qualify standardised procedure.

some definitions of SP:

Standardised procedure occurs when the researcher ensures that all participants have the same experience. For example, they are all tested in the same way, under the same conditions and so on. This is a type of control as it is ensuring that confounding variables, such as the setting of the study, do not affect the dependent variable.
SP
Read this paragraph, explains it very well.
ArticFlames
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeak)
it's a guideline, but it's not the exact way to qualify standardised procedure.

some definitions of SP:

SP
Read this paragraph, explains it very well.

I think i get it now...so basically playing the same video, keeping the same age group, same setting, etc?
JessLM14
Report 12 years ago
yup
i should have got that question right first time, I talked about it in my EE on memory.

sorry for being useless lol
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
no I'd say setting and age are more ecological validity issues...

think of it within this study setting. read that paragraph about standardised procedures again.

Yes, good the same video must be played, because it's making sure the participants have the same experience. What else makes sure they have the same experience? like..were all of them given a questionnaire to answer the questions on the speed? or were some asked by an experimenter, others asked by questionnaire. Standardised procedures, aim to get rid of investigator effects. Were the participants given instructions by the investigator in person, or were the instructions written down for the particpant to read?
ArticFlames
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeak)
no I'd say setting and age are more ecological validity issues...

think of it within this study setting. read that paragraph about standardised procedures again.

Yes, good the same video must be played, because it's making sure the participants have the same experience. What else makes sure they have the same experience? like..were all of them given a questionnaire to answer the questions on the speed? or were some asked by an experimenter, others asked by questionnaire. Standardised procedures, aim to get rid of investigator effects. Were the participants given instructions by the investigator in person, or were the instructions written down for the particpant to read?

thank you so much for the help :jumphug:
trinity2001x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The study being a lab experiment is a way that it is standardised as they controlled the environment meaning if they needed to replicate the study they can use the same environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (17)
31.48%
No (37)
68.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise