The Student Room Group

Good Speeches?

Hi, I currently have to write a speech to help revise for my GCSE's next year, does anyone have any tips on writing good speeches as I am not that good at writing them. I also never know how to start a speech or give it a good hook so people are interested.
tell me more
Incorporate an anecdote or a personal story (even if made up)
Use rhetorical questions and bring in the audience members (even if only practice)
At the beginnning of the speech, outline what you will do like this:

Hello everyone,
My name is Dr Smith, professor of sports science and today I am going to talk to you about physical exercise and it’s importance in the lives of teenagers.
Firstly, I will give a short personal story. Following this I will provide you with some statistics before hopefully convincing you that change is needed for a healthy future for the next generation……..

Techniques to use:
- rhetorical questions
- sentence structure
- anecdote
- statistics
- emotive language
- alliteration
- anaphora/repetition
- tricolon ( asyndetic + polysyndetic)
- lists
- do not exhaust imagery however as you want it to be punchy. Play around with sentence structure.
- powerful ending is very important (get the audience on your side + incite a response)

Original post by Fanta_
Hi, I currently have to write a speech to help revise for my GCSE's next year, does anyone have any tips on writing good speeches as I am not that good at writing them. I also never know how to start a speech or give it a good hook so people are interested.
Reply 3
Original post by CB12345678910
Incorporate an anecdote or a personal story (even if made up)
Use rhetorical questions and bring in the audience members (even if only practice)
At the beginnning of the speech, outline what you will do like this:

Hello everyone,
My name is Dr Smith, professor of sports science and today I am going to talk to you about physical exercise and it’s importance in the lives of teenagers.
Firstly, I will give a short personal story. Following this I will provide you with some statistics before hopefully convincing you that change is needed for a healthy future for the next generation……..

Techniques to use:
- rhetorical questions
- sentence structure
- anecdote
- statistics
- emotive language
- alliteration
- anaphora/repetition
- tricolon ( asyndetic + polysyndetic)
- lists
- do not exhaust imagery however as you want it to be punchy. Play around with sentence structure.
- powerful ending is very important (get the audience on your side + incite a response)

Thank you so much, this helped a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending