The Student Room Group

Exceeding time limit in gcses

Ive just talked with my teachers and they said i would be reported to the department for writing over time by around 15seconds. Just to be brief, i was transferring my answers onto the answer sheet for the science multiple choice questions. Ive written the student declaration sheet and ive also checked the Cambridge website, and writing over time does not come up as malpractice. Should I be worried about my grades? They said i would have four options. Either they let me off, get just this exam cancelled, all of the exams for this subject cancelled , or all of my igcses disqualified. This is the first case for all my teachers to and i don't know what to think.
Original post by Star.07
Ive just talked with my teachers and they said i would be reported to the department for writing over time by around 15seconds. Just to be brief, i was transferring my answers onto the answer sheet for the science multiple choice questions. Ive written the student declaration sheet and ive also checked the Cambridge website, and writing over time does not come up as malpractice. Should I be worried about my grades? They said i would have four options. Either they let me off, get just this exam cancelled, all of the exams for this subject cancelled , or all of my igcses disqualified. This is the first case for all my teachers to and i don't know what to think.

I know someone who submitted their answers but due to a problem with the website it went over you need to appeal the decision if they report you as everything is not always black and white, i would have thought you would be ok. hope this helps
Of the four options you mentioned, realistically only the first two would apply as you were not deliberating attempting to cheat. It is very unlikely that 15 seconds over time will have any impact on your overall mark for the exam so I do not think you need to worry about it
Original post by Star.07
Ive just talked with my teachers and they said i would be reported to the department for writing over time by around 15seconds. Just to be brief, i was transferring my answers onto the answer sheet for the science multiple choice questions. Ive written the student declaration sheet and ive also checked the Cambridge website, and writing over time does not come up as malpractice.

At the end of the exam, the invigilator will have told candidates to stop writing and put their pens down. It seems you ignored this instruction. It is malpractice to not follow the invigilator's instructions.

Should I be worried about my grades? They said i would have four options. Either they let me off, get just this exam cancelled, all of the exams for this subject cancelled , or all of my igcses disqualified. This is the first case for all my teachers to and i don't know what to think.

I assume the process would be that the school/college would report the malpractice to the exam board for exam board to make a decision on.
Original post by ScienceGuy2000
Of the four options you mentioned, realistically only the first two would apply as you were not deliberating attempting to cheat.

Unless there was an invigilator watching while OP continued to write, the inviligator isn't in position to know what OP was writing at that time.

It is very unlikely that 15 seconds over time will have any impact on your overall mark for the exam so I do not think you need to worry about it

I suspect a one-off occurrence of a candidate writing for an extra 15 seconds would merit nothing stronger than a warning.
Original post by Star.07

hii may i know what happened after??

Quick Reply

Latest