The Student Room Group

I've noticed blood in my toilet paper

Hey, so, I'm a female, 19 years old. Today, I went to the bathroom to defecate, and noticed a reasonable amount of blood on my toilet paper. Not unusual, as a female, because it is time for my period. But, when I wiped my vagina, I didn't see any blood, and my urine is normal. I haven't sensed any pain, at all; Nor any other symptoms that could give me an answer about this. I am waiting to see if I am indeed on my period, but if I'm not, I'm not willing to go to a doctor because of personal trauma. Only if the problem is big enough to affect my long term health. So, I would be glad with some suggestions about what could it be. Thanks in advance
You don't say whether the blood was dark red or bright red?

If the blood was bright red it could be something as simple as haemorrhoids (piles) particularly if you have been straining with constipation, or be pregnant or have previously suffered from them? If it was a darker red it could be partly digested blood or bright red a problem with the lining of your colon (intestine) higher up.

You know the only way to get an answer is to get a doctor to check it out so please do. Any unexpected or unusual bleeding should be checked sooner rather than later if only to give you peace or mind and reassurance.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
You don't say whether the blood was dark red or bright red?

If the blood was bright red it could be something as simple as haemorrhoids (piles) particularly if you have been straining with constipation, or be pregnant or have previously suffered from them? If it was a darker red it could be partly digested blood or bright red a problem with the lining of your colon (intestine) higher up.

You know the only way to get an answer is to get a doctor to check it out so please do. Any unexpected or unusual bleeding should be checked sooner rather than later if only to give you peace or mind and reassurance.

Bright red. Never been pregnant, never engaged in sexual activity, never had a problem with haemorrhoids, and no constipation either
Have you eaten any beetroot? I panicked once after going for a number 2. My Dad then pointed out I had a huge bowl of his home grown beetroot the day before.

Seriously, If you’re concerned, I’d book into see a GP as they’ll know the correct Q’s to ask and be able to settle your fears.
Original post by bayarig_
Hey, so, I'm a female, 19 years old. Today, I went to the bathroom to defecate, and noticed a reasonable amount of blood on my toilet paper. Not unusual, as a female, because it is time for my period. But, when I wiped my vagina, I didn't see any blood, and my urine is normal. I haven't sensed any pain, at all; Nor any other symptoms that could give me an answer about this. I am waiting to see if I am indeed on my period, but if I'm not, I'm not willing to go to a doctor because of personal trauma. Only if the problem is big enough to affect my long term health. So, I would be glad with some suggestions about what could it be. Thanks in advance

Nobody on TSR can or should answer this for you.

If you are not willing to go to a doctor, then there is not much you can do. Waiting for the problem to affect your long term health is silly. Just go to the doctor…
(edited 1 year ago)
I think it's menstruation it is starting a little bit it depends on your body cycling but if you not sure what is happening I am advising that you can go to the doctor
Original post by bayarig_

When should I be worried about blood when I wipe......

If you see blood in stool or on toilet paper after a bowel movement, take note of how much blood there is. If there is a significant amount or continuous bleeding, see your doctor as soon as possible. You should also seek help if your stool appears black, tarry or maroon in color.

There are few different factors that can cause bleeding and reason why you should be seen by a doctor about it.
Your health is more important than playing a silly waiting game to see what happens next.

My best advice is if you are really concerned about it then call your GP surgery and ask if it possible to talk to a doctor today as if not then phone the NHS 24 on 111 and get further advice on what you should do next.

Possibly it may be nothing to worry about but until you actually discuss it with a GP then if it is something serious then you could be making things worse by not getting to a doctor 😉😉☺️.

Unfortunately I am not a doctor but as a NHS registered midwife I would highly recommend you get some sort of medical assistant asap so that things won't get any worse.

Quick Reply

Latest