The Student Room Group

What is a good first year overall percentage

just wanted to know your thoughts
Original post by Samxy12

For the vast majority of degrees, the first year percentage does not count towards your overall degree grade at all. So, in that sense, the first year percentage is irrelevant.

However, it's important to have learned as much of the first year content as possible, as you'll be building upon that in subsequent years. Unless some aberration occurred during your exams, then your percentage should be a reasonable indication of how much of the first year content you know - so the higher the percentage the better.

If you're looking for an actual number, I'd say that using the normal degree classifications percentages would be a good guide (>= 70% is a 1st, >= 60% is a 2:1, etc.). On that basis "a good first year overall percentage" would be 70% or above.
Original post by Samxy12

Slightly different opinion to the other poster but 60% is often 2:1 and that is a good result, whilst 70% is a 1st and that is seen as an excellent result for most undergraduate degrees where the pass mark is 40%.

Once you get past undergraduate level, it begins to change. At Masters level, the pass mark is 50% and 60% is still seen as good and 70% is very good, 80% is excellent.

I am currently on the Bar Practice Course and anything below 60% is now a fail but 60-69% is known as competent, 70- 84% is known as very competent whilst 85% plus is known as outstanding.

Of course, bandings may vary from uni to uni and course to course but you can ask your university for the assesment bandings.

Hope that helps.
Nic
Student Ambassador for the University of Law
Original post by Samxy12

Hi there,

My name is El!

First year of University doesn't technically count towards your overall grade at the end of your course. First year is simply to experiment and get used to the new lifestyle of being a Uni student. First year is one of the only years that you can get a bad-ish grade and for it to not matter! Depending how you are as a student as well, if you completely fail, you may be able to continue on to second year regardless of the fail; but you must be a good student for this!

Overall, at Coventry, our lowest passing grade is 40% upwards. Anything above that is a pass and is brilliant! But this may change depending on your University choice and what subject you're doing!

Hope this helps!
El
Original post by Samxy12

Hey @Samxy12,

Luckily, in most universities, your first year grade doesn't actually have much significance other than making sure that you get into second year. It does not feed into your overall grade, so there's no need to worry too much if you haven't done as well as you thought you would. I'd say as long as you've hit somewhere around 50% or above, you should be pretty proud of that.

For me, a 2:2 or a 2:1 in first year was kinda what I was aiming for. Everyone has different expectations of themselves though, so no matter what, just try your hardest to build upon that grade next year. Take those first year skills, learn from any mistakes and you'll be prepared to take on second year, no doubt.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

-Quinn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending