Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a new workout/weightlifting program, which involves squatting. I've got all the weights and equipment and that available at my gym, but due to a rugby injury from a couple of years ago, I can't squat fully, and can only get down about 3/4 of the way. Is there much point in continuing to squat without a full range of motion? Or can someone recommend me another exercise which will give me the same benefits?

ReputationRep:
    leg press? not as great, but it will have to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotty01292)
    , and can only get down about 3/4 of the way
    You don't need to go a2g, you can go just below parallel.

ReputationRep:
    You only need to lower so that your thighs are parallel to the floor, If you can get that far, your fine.
    Id recommend using a squat rack if your gym has one whilst your overcoming injury too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sorry didn't really make it clear. I can't get to parallel. I can get about 3/4 of the way to parallel. Might try some leg presses and see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    Just use the bar and work on it. Your motion will come back. What exactly was your injury? You'll probably find it's just tightness and getting some motion back will work it out. It will take time and I would suggest not ramping up the weight but using just the bar to get your form right first. I've had shed loads of injuries and I've got my body back to normal; it just takes time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Just use the bar and work on it. Your motion will come back. What exactly was your injury? You'll probably find it's just tightness and getting some motion back will work it out. It will take time and I would suggest not ramping up the weight but using just the bar to get your form right first. I've had shed loads of injuries and I've got my body back to normal; it just takes time!
    Dislocated it, in a bad tackle. Never fully recovered from it.

ReputationRep:
    Well you'll have to work it to get the muscle functioning again. Perhaps start off with unweighted squats or a 15kg bar if you got one in your gym. You have to work it to move it. Common with injuries, you don't put weight on it or are afraid to use it properly and it never fully recovers.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh do what you can with Squats..despite the limited range you can perform it's still the best mass builder along with deadlifts imo

ReputationRep:
    Another point, following from lady venom, you could try Swiss/exercise ball squats. Putting the ball against a wall and leaning into it on your lower back, then squat whilst rolling down the ball...hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    What did you dislocate?

Anyway, what it is doesn't matter, what you need to do is rehab your injury effectively. A run-of-the-mill dislocation will not be serious enough to prevent squatting correctly if its rehabbed correctly.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how many people can't do squats when I've never actually met someone who isn't a pirate who can't bend their knee ~90 degrees.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's best to try and work on the mobility of the joint with lighter squats. Leg presses are alright, but - though this may not be generally applicable - I found that substituting leg presses for squats was problematic for my back, whereas squats gave me very noticeable improvements in my lower back strength. I'd say it's worth perservering if you have any chance of eventually progressing to fully parallel squats.

ReputationRep:
    Dislocated it, in a bad tackle. Never fully recovered from it.
    Bro, I tore the ACL in my left knee playing rugby, broke my foot and also my shoulder on the one side, it took alot of hard work and graft but you can regain flexibility (at least enough to squat) and so on, the worst thing you can do is just accept that you cannot get to depth. You should look for things to do to help you squat, not avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It's amazing how many people can't do squats when I've never actually met someone who isn't a pirate who can't bend their knee ~90 degrees.
    i have terrible hamstring flexibility which severely limits my squat. arharr matey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metropolis)
    i have terrible hamstring flexibility which severely limits my squat. arharr matey.
    Yes but you can sort that out by stretching and working on it. It's easy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a new workout/weightlifting program, which involves squatting. I've got all the weights and equipment and that available at my gym, but due to a rugby injury from a couple of years ago, I can't squat fully, and can only get down about 3/4 of the way. Is there much point in continuing to squat without a full range of motion? Or can someone recommend me another exercise which will give me the same benefits?
    Do you know what it is that's preventing you from squatting lower?
    Perhaps you should try squatting with a lower weight and see if you can go lower.

I was unable to do a full squat when i started training but slowly with practice i managed to do a full one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiyo)
    Perhaps you should try squatting with a lower weight and see if you can go lower.
    Or more, I cannot get down to depth with much less than 180-200kgs on the bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Or more, I cannot get down to depth with much less than 180-200kgs on the bar.
    Agree.....! I find it hard to squat ATG with lower weights, I find it too easy and can hear my knees crunchin' and a grindin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Venom)
    Agree.....!
    You can't get down to depth with less than 180kg on the bar? :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.