The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

So I’m planning to take Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level, I’m currently near the end of my GCSEs. I want to do a maths or physics degree at university. I’m considering adding Further Maths as a 4th but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra effort or workload since all Unis only ask for 3.
Reply 1
Original post by Stratocaster35
So I’m planning to take Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level, I’m currently near the end of my GCSEs. I want to do a maths or physics degree at university. I’m considering adding Further Maths as a 4th but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra effort or workload since all Unis only ask for 3.

For maths degrees some universities require or strongly prefer further maths. Look at the entry requirements of the unis you might be interested in.
If you’re looking to do Maths at uni I’d strongly recommend taking F maths. It’ll either put you ahead slightly, or, at the very least, ensure you are in a well-equipped starting position. As others have said, some unis require F maths, it’s also possible to have your offer reduced if you take Further Maths which was the case for me :smile:
Before you even choose your a levels I would suggest looking at the unis you want to go to and look at the entry requirements and see if they want any specific subjects as some unis don’t necessarily need further maths and you don’t want to take that subject and risk tiring yourself if it’s not worth it.
Also as someone who’s in year 13 and doing chemistry, I would highly advise AGAINST DOING IT IF YOUR UNI DOESNT NEED IT THAT SUBJECT WILL LITERALLY KILL YOU.
I have a friend who’s going to uni in sept to do a maths degree and she did maths, economics and chemistry and she highly regrets taking chemistry and wishes she did an easier subject like psychology bc the unis she got into didn’t even care that she took chemistry as a requirement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending