The Student Room Group

Best London Uni For Biomedical Engineering

Hi,

I'm looking at universities in the London area, and I want to study biomedical engineering (as an international student).

I'm wondering what your opinion is of engineering at UCL, Kings and Imperial.

Which one is the best and why?

Thanking you in advance for your help.
For “engineering” Imperial has an outstanding record for their departments. Although UCL is quite highly ranked, their engineering departments aren’t as high as their overall ranking. Kings College London is also worth looking into, I found their biomedical engineering course to be quite good (I applied this year for mechanical engineering but did look into biomedical quite a lot as well).
Going from there you might want to look into “Medical Physics” at UCL. It isn’t quite biomedical engineering but it combines a lot of biomedical engineering modules with your regular physics concepts and makes for what seems like a detailed course.
Out of the three I would take İmperial in a heartbeat considering how wide their course modules go, however this is solely based on the ranking and course scope. Imperial is going to be highly demanding in terms of workrate, yet you are going to university so it is inevitable that you are going to need to study hard. I wouldn’t want to put you down on that matter and I’d say look into the workloads yourself and ask some students if you can. As long as you think you can do it, don’t listen to others trying to put you off, go for the route you will enjoy the most. It’s your degree at the end of the day and you will be the one studying. Rankings only go so far so do make sure to check out the likes of QMUL (another Russell group, decently ranked London Uni).
If you have any further questions do ask and I’ll try my best to respond or direct you.
Original post by Furkan34
For “engineering” Imperial has an outstanding record for their departments. Although UCL is quite highly ranked, their engineering departments aren’t as high as their overall ranking. Kings College London is also worth looking into, I found their biomedical engineering course to be quite good (I applied this year for mechanical engineering but did look into biomedical quite a lot as well).
Going from there you might want to look into “Medical Physics” at UCL. It isn’t quite biomedical engineering but it combines a lot of biomedical engineering modules with your regular physics concepts and makes for what seems like a detailed course.
Out of the three I would take İmperial in a heartbeat considering how wide their course modules go, however this is solely based on the ranking and course scope. Imperial is going to be highly demanding in terms of workrate, yet you are going to university so it is inevitable that you are going to need to study hard. I wouldn’t want to put you down on that matter and I’d say look into the workloads yourself and ask some students if you can. As long as you think you can do it, don’t listen to others trying to put you off, go for the route you will enjoy the most. It’s your degree at the end of the day and you will be the one studying. Rankings only go so far so do make sure to check out the likes of QMUL (another Russell group, decently ranked London Uni).
If you have any further questions do ask and I’ll try my best to respond or direct you.

Wow thank you so much for all of your advice! I will definitely look into Queen Mary. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest