The Student Room Group

Advice for picking a university

To all of you picking your university choices, here’s some advice from a girl who dropped out last year. Over and over again I was advised to go to a university with the highest entry grades, to do as well as possible for myself. I am here to tell you not to do that!!! You need to pick your university based on location, accommodation, the feel of the campus and city, not the entry grades. It will not end well if you simply firm the option with the highest entry grades. I achieved A*AA last year, and this September I will be going to a university which requires BBC, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a brand new campus with lovely accommodation options, and small class sizes in a small city. This simply does not compare with where I went last year. If you are not in love with your first option, please do not choose it. Save the hassle of dropping out and missing out on a year of study. Feel free to ask me any questions about this :smile:
Original post by sadbabypanda
To all of you picking your university choices, here’s some advice from a girl who dropped out last year. Over and over again I was advised to go to a university with the highest entry grades, to do as well as possible for myself. I am here to tell you not to do that!!! You need to pick your university based on location, accommodation, the feel of the campus and city, not the entry grades. It will not end well if you simply firm the option with the highest entry grades. I achieved A*AA last year, and this September I will be going to a university which requires BBC, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a brand new campus with lovely accommodation options, and small class sizes in a small city. This simply does not compare with where I went last year. If you are not in love with your first option, please do not choose it. Save the hassle of dropping out and missing out on a year of study. Feel free to ask me any questions about this :smile:

I'm surprised that you don't consider the course itself to be important.
Hi , that’s great to hear. Been stressing about going to a uni with the highest entry requirements and not even been considering the more important aspects of it.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm surprised that you don't consider the course itself to be important.

Of course I do, I just forgot to mention that :P
What course was it
As we keep telling people - 'rankings' and 'higher grade requirements' can't tell you if you will enjoy the course or like being at that Uni.

Go to Open Days, listen to subject presentations, and make a decision on the 'feel' of the Uni, and what suits your needs, and think carefully about the course - if it doesnt actually interest you, it'll be a very miserable three years, whatever the brand name of the Uni.

Do you have any advice for btec students that are applying for uni 2023 or in general when applying for uni through ucas. (personal statement advice).
i appreciate the advice!
Original post by sophie hart
Do you have any advice for btec students that are applying for uni 2023 or in general when applying for uni through ucas. (personal statement advice).
i appreciate the advice!

I have A levels so unfortunately have no advice regarding applying with BTECs, however when it comes to personal statements I would look at examples of person statements online to see what they’re looking for, and your college or school should help you with how to construct one. Main areas I covered in my statement were:
My favourite area of the subject
A book I’ve read about the subject
Examples showing my interest in the subject
Training I’ve attended about the subject
Other hobbies
I have A levels so unfortunately have no advice regarding applying with BTECs, however when it comes to personal statements I would look at examples of person statements online to see what they’re looking for, and your college or school should help you with how to construct one. Main areas I covered in my statement were:
My favourite area of the subject
A book I’ve read about the subject
Examples showing my interest in the subject
Training I’ve attended about the subject
Other hobbies

Thanks for your response!
1) Do you have any advice for btec students that are applying for uni 2023 o
2) or in general when applying for uni through ucas. (personal statement advice).

1) Read the entry requirements for each course on each individual Uni websire carefully and dont forget to chck if there are also any essential GCSE grades. If in any soubt abut a BTEC being accepted, email the Uni's Admissions office and asj - don't' just assume, or hope for the best.
2) Your PS has the same format and purpose whatever qualification you are taking in Y13 - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8
Original post by McGinger
1) Read the entry requirements for each course on each individual Uni websire carefully and dont forget to chck if there are also any essential GCSE grades. If in any soubt abut a BTEC being accepted, email the Uni's Admissions office and asj - don't' just assume, or hope for the best.
2) Your PS has the same format and purpose whatever qualification you are taking in Y13 - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5-vnhZRx8

Thanks for editing my question to make it more easier to understand and thanks for you advice. You have a great uni advice which i really appreciate it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Woow786
What course was it

I didn’t even start the course or attend a single lecture, I was so unhappy with the accommodation and city I was living in I left after 3 days
I didn’t even start the course or attend a single lecture, I was so unhappy with the accommodation and city I was living in I left after 3 days

What uni would you recommed?

Which uni should i avoid?

I can only speak from experience, as I’ve only attended one university and that was the University of Southampton. Although it has a great variety of courses, high entry grades and Russel Group status, the campus, accommodation and surrounding areas are generally terrible. When applying for accommodation, you are not allowed to apply for any specific buildings, e.g. if you apply for Glen Eyre there are around 5 different buildings you can be put in, each differing largely in quality. Also the position of the university within the city - there are no local shops easily accessible, and is a very run down, dodgy area far from the town centre
I can only speak from experience, as I’ve only attended one university and that was the University of Southampton. Although it has a great variety of courses, high entry grades and Russel Group status, the campus, accommodation and surrounding areas are generally terrible. When applying for accommodation, you are not allowed to apply for any specific buildings, e.g. if you apply for Glen Eyre there are around 5 different buildings you can be put in, each differing largely in quality. Also the position of the university within the city - there are no local shops easily accessible, and is a very run down, dodgy area far from the town centre

Thanks for the advice it nice to actually hear students opinion on a uni and there experiences! Personally for me i don't think accomodations is going to be issue because i am planning to stay at home when i go to uni.
(edited 1 year ago)

Every person is different. What suits one person doesnt suit another. You need to be asking yourself what suits you. I dont know Southampton so cannot comment other to say many like it there.

Ask yourself would you feel comfortable in a big or small city. Would you prefer to live in a city or out of the city on a campus. How far or close to hoe do you want to be.

Just to give you a bit of an example. Bristol university is pretty much in the city. It is a very big city and much of its accommodation is away from the campus. It will have a real city bus and it ill feel like being in te city.

Bath a few miles away is on a hill top overlooking a small historic city. It s a campus university withnearly all fist year accommodation on site. The campus in Bathy has everything shops, cafes, gyms, sports fields etc. You neednt leave the university. You can get practically everything and it doesnt feel like your in the city.

One person may love the campus feel. Another might prefer the city buzz Bristol offers. What matters is what is right for you. This is why it is important to visit and decide where you want to go.
Thanks i am planning to stay in my home city which is london. Thank you so much your advice which i really appreciate @swanseajack1. i recieved your private message but i cannot respond due to being new to tsr member.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending