Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Well it bloody worked didn't it? A little civil protesting clearly wasn't enough. Don't be so disrespectful, if those women hadn't gone to such lengths, who knows how much longer it would've taken to grant women the vote, if even at all?
    Actually, no, it didn't. The World War did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goddess Fury)
    Im a BNP supporter and ex-member (quit when I got a job I don't want to lose) but even I am getting sick of all these BNP threads.
    No wonder you get negative rep. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with any decision to BNP...but I'd defend to death the right of a citizen to take that decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancelikeamonkey)

I've had enough of this to be honest. If you really think you're right then I suggest you go and spend a little bit of time in the library or maybe visit some war graves then come back and post, but I'm out of here.
    what earth are you talking about? how are war graves going to teach anyone history?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can vote for whoever you want mate -.-

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I give up with this debate with vsm there's no point in it, obviously has such a blinkered view on things there is no point even trying to reason. I shall follow dancelikeamonkey and leave this thread be. Have fun all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    what earth are you talking about? how are war graves going to teach anyone history?
    Might teach you to have some respect for people that died for us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slash_GNR)
    Simple, if we had surrendered/ appeased/ lost then we would have been occupied as you have already stated, then we wouldn't have had a vote because we were occupied and would have been ruled by a dictator therefore no vote and no democracy and we would have had fascist propaganda forced upon us.
    That's what my great grandad died for in WW1 and my grandad died for in WW2 so don't you dare insult me by saying that what they and others fought and died for wasn't worth our freedom and civil liberties.
    The more probable explanation for British involvement in either war was to prevent the creation of a Continental superpower. That we defended our democracy in the process was a byproduct more than anything else -we could easily have arranged a truce in either war and retained sovereignty .
    You're also being rather selective. You could just as well argue that in WW1 we fought and died to maintain our political franchise at its current level rather than extending it to women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    So your'e only British through naturalisation, not birth or parent inheritance. No wonder you dont appreciate the people that came before you.
    pretty sure poland took most of the brunt of the war and the polish also fought for the british army. im third generation polish so yes i am british by birth. frankly i dont see how being british by naturalisation makes you less british, my grandfather fought for the british army once poland fell to germany so i think that's entitlement enough to become british.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletStorm)
    Yeh well it wasn't full democracy until everyone had the vote INCLUDING WOMEN was it? Which was after they had fought for it.
    It's still not 'full democracy'. Look at the numbers of black and asian MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancelikeamonkey)
    If you spent more time getting rid of your "frustrations" maybe you'd spend a little less time trying to argue futile points of view on a forum.

Goodnight everybody.
    because im a woman i need a good shag to stop me being a 'moron' or '*****' with an opinion. i get a lot of that. who needs the vote when you still get treated like you're ignorant and insulted because you have a uterus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    The more probably explanation for British involvement in either war was to prevent the creation of a Continental superpower. That we defended our democracy in the process was a byproduct more than anything else -we could easily have arranged a truce in either war and retained sovereignty .
    You're also being rather selective. You could just as well argue that in WW1 we fought and died to maintain our political franchise at its current level rather than extending it to women.
    Nice post.

ReputationRep:
    no. im not grateful to them at all. i totally deplore a lot of what they did and their ridiculous methods totally overshadowed the role of other women (and men) in getting the vote. it's a lot more complex than one hysterical woman and the king's horse.
    The suffragists then, the point they're making is that there was a fight for democracy in that circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcoxia)
    It's still not 'full democracy'. Look at the numbers of black and asian MPs.
    and the fact that your choice of political party is hampered by who runs in your constituency.

ReputationRep:
    This thread may end up being locked if we have any more insults. Stay on-topic guys, please. It makes my job so much easier if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletStorm)
    Might teach you to have some respect for people that died for us..
    respect hasnt come up at all. im talking about historical fact, not hysterical emotions. if i was then id be pulling the 'my grandmother was in nazi a labour camp card'.

ReputationRep:
    and the fact that your choice of political party is hampered by who runs in your constituency.
    Quite. It's all very intriguing, I mean at the core of democracy lies the principle of everyone having an equal say. But does our system really provide that? Say you live in area which is heavily sided towards one party, does your vote matter as much as someone who lives in a much more divided area. Obviously that won't matter at a local level but nationally does it impinge on your overall level of power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    The more probably explanation for British involvement in either war was to prevent the creation of a Continental superpower. That we defended our democracy in the process was a byproduct more than anything else -we could easily have arranged a truce in either war and retained sovereignty .
    I never mentioned anything about fighting for the extension of the vote for women that was not my objective rather someone else's. Byproduct or not we were defending our island and as such our culture and ideals so it all goes hand in hand really.
    Yes we could have probably arranged a truce in WW1 which then may not have led to WW2 because Hitler kind of came to power to start with using the excuse of needing living space (liebensraum?) so he may not have got the political he did otherwise but you never know, plus who's to say that if we had appeased during WW1 which was extremely unlikely to happen tbh the germans wouldn't have then won and decided to continue the expansion of their empire? It's all what if's as regards to that.

ReputationRep:
    Its everyones right to vote for who they want. Just voting for a party that supports closing Britain's borders, bringing back corporal and capital punishment and believes that the UN refugee convention only would apply to UK if the refugees were from France, Belgium or Denmark if rather like supporting fascism.

ReputationRep:
    If the BNP did win, then the head would have to work with Obama.

I do think that would be pretty funny.

Although I probably won't vote but if I did I would not vote for people who blame everything on immigrants.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.