The Student Room Group

Rice Cooker Recommendations?

Hey Guys;

I’m thinking of investing in a rice cooker just to save me some time and hassle cooking while at uni/on lazy days. Wouldn’t say no to some advice on any rice cookers people have or have used in the past as I’ve never used one before.

Cheers. 🙂
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

I’m thinking of investing in a rice cooker just to save me some time and hassle cooking while at uni/on lazy days. Wouldn’t say no to some advice on any rice cookers people have or have used in the past as I’ve never used one before.

Cheers. 🙂

Have you got a microwave in your university accommodation as if so you can Cook the rice in there for similar time as cooking it on the stove in a pan.

I use the microwave for Cooking my rice at home never mind when I was at university. Make a big batch at once and let it cool properly and freeze what you don't use ( if you have a freezer ) and take out when required what you need ( you could bag up the rice if not got freezer boxes.

Save money this way to.
Original post by Tracey_W
Have you got a microwave in your university accommodation as if so you can Cook the rice in there for similar time as cooking it on the stove in a pan.

I use the microwave for Cooking my rice at home never mind when I was at university. Make a big batch at once and let it cool properly and freeze what you don't use ( if you have a freezer ) and take out when required what you need ( you could bag up the rice if not got freezer boxes.

Save money this way to.

i've never heard of anyone freezing rice before lol i didn't know you could do that
Original post by apples983
i've never heard of anyone freezing rice before lol i didn't know you could do that

Yes you can freeze rice once cooked 🙂 providing you heat it up properly then it is fine.

How do you think manufacturers who makes meals with rice do - freeze it.
Hey Guys;

Cheers. 🙂

Honestly even the most basic/cheapest rice cooker from Argos will do. If you have a big budget and want lots of features then the Japanese Zojirushi ones will be the best.

And yes, you can freeze rice and frozen rice works best for fried rice. Will always come out clump-free.
Generally, more buttons=better rice cooker

Save money this way to.

Please don't microwave rice :frown:
As above just get a basic model for uni. Well worth the investment in any case as they're very versatile and you can use them to also steam veggies, make pancakes, and all kinds of things!

If your budget is a bit bigger consider a rice cooker/slow cooker combo thing, as that vastly extends the range of things you can use it for. Super convenient for many reasons (the only downside is if you use the slow cooker to make a slow cooked curry because you can't simultaneously use it to make rice :tongue:).

But it might be better to stick to something cheaper and more basic in case a) your halls PAT it and determine it's not acceptable to use in your flat (or just outright ban them) or if it gets damaged during moves or stolen (!) at some point.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
Generally, more buttons=better rice cooker

Please don't microwave rice :frown:

I always cook my rice in the microwave providing the instructions says that you can do so which most do have nowadays.

It's just as good as it in a pan 🙂🙂🙂

( To cook rice in the microwave, rinse it in a colander and pour it into a microwave-safe dish. Add as much water as the package calls for. Microwave it on high heat for 10 minutes, leaving the dish uncovered, then lower the heat to low for another 15 minutes, or 20 if you're cooking brown rice. ).

I usually cook it for 10 minutes then stir it and put on again for another 10 minutes or so until it's soft.

Obviously we have all our own ways of things.....

I only press one button to set the time for cooking it.
(edited 1 year ago)
I always cook my rice in the microwave providing the instructions says that you can do so which most do have nowadays.

It's just as good as it in a pan 🙂🙂🙂

( To cook rice in the microwave, rinse it in a colander and pour it into a microwave-safe dish. Add as much water as the package calls for. Microwave it on high heat for 10 minutes, leaving the dish uncovered, then lower the heat to low for another 15 minutes, or 20 if you're cooking brown rice. ).

I usually cook it for 10 minutes then stir it and put on again for another 10 minutes or so until it's soft.

Obviously we have all our own ways of things.....

I only press one button to set the time for cooking it.

It's like microwaving tea, it's not really the same. Some rice cookers save your previous setting so you only have to press a single button as well. I'd still recommend a rice cooker if you eat a lot of rice.
Hey Guys;

Cheers. 🙂

Some unis have banned rice cookers because of fire risks - please check before buying one.
Original post by Muttley79
Some unis have banned rice cookers because of fire risks - please check before buying one.

I'm not living on campus as I'll be a masters student. So, it's just a case of finding one which is decent enough and worth it financially. =)
There's also nothing in my contract that explicitly states anything about certain items.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Honestly even the most basic/cheapest rice cooker from Argos will do. If you have a big budget and want lots of features then the Japanese Zojirushi ones will be the best.

And yes, you can freeze rice and frozen rice works best for fried rice. Will always come out clump-free.

100% this. I'm sure the quality does go up but I've never been dissapointed with the cheaper rice cookers!

Saying that I think I've been using this for the last 3 years and it's never let me down: Russell Hobbs 27040 Large Rice Cooker

Quick Reply

Latest