The Student Room Group

Retaking my GCSES?

I have recently been through some extenuating circumstances whilst I have been taking my gcses. If I want to retake them next year will this effect my university applications?
(edited 1 year ago)
Your referee can mention any extenuating circumstances in your UCAS reference and this may get your 'extra consideration' for your overall GCSE profile, however it wont excuse you from any specific GCSE grades required, ie. if the Uni wants evidence of strong Maths skills, you would still have to have the right grade.

Typically, the only critical GCSEs are Maths and English, and if a Uni specifies that it wants a particular GCSE grade and you don't have it, your application will be rejected. So, it is worth retaking Maths and English GCSEs alongside A levels etc if you dont have the required grades. Just ask your school about this.

No, it wont impact your UCAS application - resitting these two GCSEs is quite common, and any Uni making you an offer, will just add this as an extra condition.
Original post by volatile_13
I have recently been through some extenuating circumstances whilst I have been taking my gcses. If I want to retake them next year will this effect my university applications?

short answer, no. I don't see why this would effect your university applications in any way.
Original post by volatile_13

No I don't think so as uni cares more about what you achieve in college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending