The Student Room Group

Keep getting rejected for jobs

Applied for a range of different retail jobs such as H&M ,JD,tesco,superdrug,TKmaxx
I keep getting rejected
Any advice or suggestions on places that take in 16yr olds for work?
Have you thought about steward jobs? Nurseries (download the app Kalendit) or healthcare jobs like a support worker?
Just lie on your CV and make your application stronger
Maybe it’s your age or your not trying for the right jobs, lots of kids summer camps are offering jobs right now along with tutor jobs don’t be to ambitious if it your first job as often they would rather have someone with experience
Original post by _29makky
Applied for a range of different retail jobs such as H&M ,JD,tesco,superdrug,TKmaxx
I keep getting rejected

It sounds like you do not have previous experiences. If you do not have any prior experiences company’s are reluctant to hire you. I suggest you try your smaller shops because you have a higher chance of getting hired rather than a big chain store. Also try restaurant work, they are always looking for people and you do not need to have any experiences at times. Also whilst you are looking for a job I suggest you take up volunteering work at charity shops or farms, this will help you for your experiences and you can put this on your cv.
Keep looking, don’t stop. I was in a similar situation last year however I managed to find a job although it did take a month or so.
Original post by zasng45

worst advice ever
Reply 6
Original post by zasng45

I did and I still get rejected lol
Reply 7
Original post by Aderinwa
Maybe it’s your age or your not trying for the right jobs, lots of kids summer camps are offering jobs right now along with tutor jobs don’t be to ambitious if it your first job as often they would rather have someone with experience

Are summer camps not far away?Im in London.Also I cant do tutor jobs unless i get the right grades
Are summer camps not far away?Im in London.Also I cant do tutor jobs unless i get the right grades

Hey Yh I’m in London to abs found loads of summer camp jobs available on indeed Activ camps have lots of locations around London so you should check them out also places such as explorer learning requiring when you apply to the job to just have 5 or above in gcse maths and English
Sorry I didn’t see your age I thought it was 18 so tutoring might not be an option for you yet.
I keep getting rejected

Have you tried the likes of boots.
Other retailers as well remember takes on people of your age.
McDonald's at last resort perhaps...!!

Use the companies own websites and don't give up as eventually you'll be offered a job.

Don't lie on your CV as can come back to bite you unexpectedly.

Majority of the supermarkets don't need any previous experience because who have it at 16 unless you perhaps worked somewhere else like a wee local shop or paper round.
When I'd look for minimum wage jobs like that a while ago, I found the job market to be rather 'clique-ish'. Unless you knew someone who already works there and mentions you to the store manager, you'd have a relatively hard time of even getting an interview.

The strength of your CV has very little to do with it even. You don't need 'experience' for a minimum wage retail job, just common sense and some basic work ethic. If you were applying for a store manager position, then yes.

Understanding now how these things work, I cope a lot better than I used to even though I do not like it. My best advice would be, learn to deal with it & game the system. I do not particularly respect people who institutionalise that type of behavior, but I keep those opinions to myself in real life and just play along.

It depends a little on why exactly they would hire you and how it is they know you in the first place. If it's because you actually have a good reputation for the work you do, fair enough. If it's because you're part of their 'childhood gang' or are of the same ethnic background, but can't even get up in the morning for work, then not really. I don't want to work with those types of people anyway, I can barely even tolerate them, and their feelings are usually mutual if I speak my mind around them.
(edited 1 year ago)
I keep getting rejected

Try fast food places, they seem to take on a lot of students. And they arent as bad as you think (well the one i worked at was pretty good anyway).
A lot of restaurants and cafes seem to take on as well.
Look on websites such as indeed as well.
Original post by Littleemma98
Have you tried the likes of boots.
Other retailers as well remember takes on people of your age.
McDonald's at last resort perhaps...!!

Use the companies own websites and don't give up as eventually you'll be offered a job.

Don't lie on your CV as can come back to bite you unexpectedly.

Majority of the supermarkets don't need any previous experience because who have it at 16 unless you perhaps worked somewhere else like a wee local shop or paper round.

Whats wrong with mcdonalds?
Original post by Emma:-)
Whats wrong with mcdonalds?

There's nothing wrong with working in McDonald's as I do have friends who works there but it is just an expression that if everything else not going your way then why not try working with McDonald's as last chance sort of thing.
Original post by Littleemma98
There's nothing wrong with working in McDonald's as I do have friends who works there but it is just an expression that if everything else not going your way then why not try working with McDonald's as last chance sort of thing.

Expressions like that make the place sound worse than it is, and puts genuine people off applying.
Original post by Emma:-)
Expressions like that make the place sound worse than it is, and puts genuine people off applying.

I do apologise if I worded it wrong for you.
Have you seen a consultant in School who could give you CV tips?

Google has plenty of CV tips you can take.

Quick Reply

Latest