The Student Room Group

Is this abuse?

This is not happening to me. I am simply curious to know whether this counts as abuse or not.

Are parents allowed to hit their children as a form of discipline? For example, getting hit because they talked back or did something bad.
It depends on where you live in the UK
Original post by Sukn
This is not happening to me. I am simply curious to know whether this counts as abuse or not.

Are parents allowed to hit their children as a form of discipline? For example, getting hit because they talked back or did something bad.

i mean some culture see it as a form of dispicline but if they hit you for no reason and contiously then it can be seen as abuse.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
It depends on where you live in the UK

Really? What if it’s in London?
Reply 4
Original post by sophie hart
i mean some culture see it as a form of dispicline but if they hit you for no reason and contiously then it can be seen as abuse.

Thank you for answering.
if you're asian, african or south american beats are seen as discipline. But honestly, if they're just beating tf out of you for no reason, call childline
Original post by Sukn
Thank you for answering.

Your welcome!
Original post by Sukn
Really? What if it’s in London?

It is legal to hit children as "reasonable punishment" in England
Reply 8
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
if you're asian, african or south american beats are seen as discipline. But honestly, if they're just beating tf out of you for no reason, call childline

I guess it’s different in every culture.
thank you for answering.
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
It is legal to hit children as "reasonable punishment" in England

I didn’t know this. I thought there was a different rule in place for hitting children.
If you are the parent, legal guardian or a family member related to the child who has been given permission by the p/g, it is legal to hit a child as long as it is not hard enough to physically harm them with bruises etc. e.g. an aunt could give a light smack on the buttocks for bad behaviour as long as the child is not in pain and does not suffer. A mum cannot hit the child and leave a bruise. This applies in england as far as i know.
imo its not abuse idk about the law tho
Original post by myroomaccount
If you are the parent, legal guardian or a family member related to the child who has been given permission by the p/g, it is legal to hit a child as long as it is not hard enough to physically harm them with bruises etc. e.g. an aunt could give a light smack on the buttocks for bad behaviour as long as the child is not in pain and does not suffer. A mum cannot hit the child and leave a bruise. This applies in england as far as i know.

What if they hit a child with a stick or hanger and it leaves red marks?
Original post by Sukn
What if they hit a child with a stick or hanger and it leaves red marks?

hitting a child with anything other than a hand is child abuse. When I described hitting in my post, I was referring to a slap with the hand only. The slap cannot leave red marks - if it does this counts as child abuse. Again, this is for sure in England, it is illegal to hit a child at all in Scotland and I don't know about Ireland or Wales.
Original post by myroomaccount
hitting a child with anything other than a hand is child abuse. When I described hitting in my post, I was referring to a slap with the hand only. The slap cannot leave red marks - if it does this counts as child abuse. Again, this is for sure in England, it is illegal to hit a child at all in Scotland and I don't know about Ireland or Wales.

Thank you for answering. I did not know this was a rule in England.

Quick Reply

Latest