The Student Room Group

edexcel psychology edexcel paper 3

I looked at most of the papers for 3. here are my ****in predictions

So most of the papers the 16m tends to have 2 studies for example evaluate Raine and Watson and Rayner in terms of social control

Then the 20m tends to be issue and debate without a scenario

Then the 12m always has a scenario and it's always about human behavior. "How useful agency theory would be in assessing human behavior" or "evaluate extent to which human behaviour such as communication can be explained by learning theory"

So my theory is that the 16m will be about socially sensitive research sherif and Watson and Rayner or it could be culture and gender issues Watson and Rayner. (makes more sense if culture and gender compared to socially sensitive)

or the 20m could be about socially sensitive research or the use of psychological knowledge in society

12m may be about explaining human behaviour with themes

THIS IS JUST A THEORY !
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you sensei 🙇🏽*♀️
Reply 2
Original post by ieatfoodtocope
Thank you sensei 🙇🏽*♀️

I updated it 😩
Reply 3
Original post by i3ps

So most of the papers the 16m tends to have 2 studies for example evaluate Raine and Watson and Rayner in terms of social control

Then the 12m always has a scenario and it's always about human behavior. "How useful agency theory would be in assessing human behavior" or "evaluate extent to which human behaviour such as communication can be explained by learning theory"

So my theory is that the 16m will be about socially sensitive research sherif and Watson and Rayner or it could be culture and gender issues Watson and Rayner. (makes more sense if culture and gender compared to socially sensitive)

or the 20m could be about socially sensitive research or the use of psychological knowledge in society

THIS IS JUST A THEORY !

THANK YOU!! but i’m pretty sure the 20 marker is most definitely SSR and the 12 marker is themes. and literally everyone is predicting culture and gender for Watson & Raynor and Sherif so… guess i’ll trust everyone else😭
Reply 4
Original post by Lilzz.x
THANK YOU!! but i’m pretty sure the 20 marker is most definitely SSR and the 12 marker is themes. and literally everyone is predicting culture and gender for Watson & Raynor and Sherif so… guess i’ll trust everyone else😭

it actually not might not be culture since it came in the 2017 paper so the 16m could be use of psychological knowledge over time and relate that to sherif and Watson and Rayner as well as other theories in social and learning idk I'm lost ngl just gonna revise everything

20m socially sensitive

12m explaining behaviour using themes
Original post by i3ps
it actually not might not be culture since it came in the 2017 paper so the 16m could be use of psychological knowledge over time and relate that to sherif and Watson and Rayner as well as other theories in social and learning idk I'm lost ngl just gonna revise everything

20m socially sensitive

12m explaining behaviour using themes

literally idek where to start because the advance info isnt as good on this one
Reply 6
Original post by amandastapley
literally idek where to start because the advance info isnt as good on this one

revise everything because anything could come up can't risk it if ygm or revise things that u think may be useful for the socially sensitive and explaining behaviour using themes questions. Good luck for paper 3 im sure you'll do well🤞
Original post by i3ps
I updated it 😩

what AO3 points could you inclue for culture and gender watson and rayner? All I can come up with is how ethnocentric and androcentric Sheriff was.
Reply 8
Original post by abbie.rudman
what AO3 points could you inclue for culture and gender watson and rayner? All I can come up with is how ethnocentric and androcentric Sheriff was.

Explain how gender and cultural issues could be involved in both Sherif and Watson & Raynor's research (8 marks)

The aim of the robbers cave study was to find out if two groups of boys can be manipulated into conflict through competition and then conflict resolution by working together. Sherif used a volunteer sample of 22 eleven year old boys. This means that the study cannot be generalised to women, which could be considered a weakness as individual differences may exist among girls and boys. For example, boys may have a tendency to be competitive and hostile during the competition phase. This was shown in Sherif's study when he intervened to prevent a fight, where girls may be less likely to exhibit prejudice and discrimination against outgroups as they may be naturally less aggressive. This suggests the study is andocentric because it assumes there is no gender difference in prejudice and discrimination when resources are limited.

Furthermore Sherif used boys who were all American, white and protestant. This isn't entirely representative of America in the 1950s and is certainly not representative of America today since whites make up 50% of the school intake, and the other 50% are African American, Hispanic and Asian American. As a result, the study is ethnocentric since it only explains intergroup behaviour within a certain cultural context. Idivualistic cultures may be more competitive as they may see the world as a competitive jungle where people fight for their shares of limited resources (social dominance orientation) whereas collectivistic cultures may be more cooperative and work as a team as everyone is regarded as an ingroup rater than the outgroup; therefore, there may not be prejudice or discrimination during the competition phase.

The aim of Watson and Rayner's study was to find out if a fear response can be conditioned in a 9 month old baby boy. The study only consisted of one participant which was a male therefore this cannot be generalised to the female population as the conditioning process may be different in girls and boys. Also the study was conducted in America and the participant being studied was white, which is not representative of other cultures. This could mean that the study is ethnocentric as other cultures may learn behaviour differently, such as through observational learning, than the pairing of two stimuli. However, behaviourists argue that the conditioning process is the same in all humans and animals therefore culture and gender may not impact classical conditioning.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by i3ps
Explain how gender and cultural issues could be involved in both Sherif and Watson & Raynor's research (8 marks)

The aim of the robbers cave study was to find out if two groups of boys can be manipulated into conflict through competition and then conflict resolution by working together. Sherif used a volunteer sample of 22 eleven year old boys. This means that the study cannot be generalised to women, which could be considered a weakness as individual differences may exist among girls and boys. For example, boys may have a tendency to be competitive and hostile during the competition phase. This was shown in Sherif's study when he intervened to prevent a fight, where girls may be less likely to exhibit prejudice and discrimination against outgroups as they may be naturally less aggressive. This suggests the study is andocentric because it assumes there is no gender difference in prejudice and discrimination when resources are limited.

Furthermore Sherif used boys who were all American, white and protestant. This isn't entirely representative of America in the 1950s and is certainly not representative of America today since whites make up 50% of the school intake, and the other 50% are African American, Hispanic and Asian American. As a result, the study is ethnocentric since it only explains intergroup behaviour within a certain cultural context. Idivualistic cultures may be more competitive as they may see the world as a competitive jungle where people fight for their shares of limited resources (social dominance orientation) whereas collectivistic cultures may be more cooperative and work as a team as everyone is regarded as an ingroup rater than the outgroup; therefore, there may not be prejudice or discrimination during the competition phase.

The aim of Watson and Rayner's study was to find out if a fear response can be conditioned in a 9 month old baby boy. The study only consisted of one participant which was a male therefore this cannot be generalised to the female population as the conditioning process may be different in girls and boys. Also the study was conducted in America and the participant being studied was white, which is not representative of other cultures. This could mean that the study is ethnocentric as other cultures may learn behaviour differently, such as through observational learning, than the pairing of two stimuli. However, behaviourists argue that the conditioning process is the same in all humans and animals therefore culture and gender may not impact classical conditioning.

thank you this is amazing! :smile:
what the heck do u write if they ask about developments over time for Watson and Rayner or will that not be a possible question??
Reply 11
Original post by turquoisecandy21
what the heck do u write if they ask about developments over time for Watson and Rayner or will that not be a possible question??

I think u talk about studies and theories in learning
what sort of percentage/ mark should i be aiming for to get an A in paper 3. I keep messing up on the 6 markers on 'explain how far (theory) can explain the findings' so i already know im losing 6 marks alone there.

overrall does anyone know how people tend to do throughout the papers? is there one people statistically tend to do better on each year?
what sort of percentage/ mark should i be aiming for to get an A in paper 3. I keep messing up on the 6 markers on 'explain how far (theory) can explain the findings' so i already know im losing 6 marks alone there.

overrall does anyone know how people tend to do throughout the papers? is there one people statistically tend to do better on each year?

There isn't necessarily a grade boundary per paper as it more depends on how you've found all the other papers themselves. So start by asking yourself how you feel you've done on each paper then you should know whereabouts you'll be in comparison to the past grade boundaries. After all my exams I reflect on how I've done but with the papers being 90 marks each, I'm aiming for around 45 marks per paper.

However, most people I know sitting the exam feel the most concerned on paper 3 so I'm going to guess that's the one people feel the least confident on.
(I hope this helps)
Original post by Liv1354
There isn't necessarily a grade boundary per paper as it more depends on how you've found all the other papers themselves. So start by asking yourself how you feel you've done on each paper then you should know whereabouts you'll be in comparison to the past grade boundaries. After all my exams I reflect on how I've done but with the papers being 90 marks each, I'm aiming for around 45 marks per paper.

However, most people I know sitting the exam feel the most concerned on paper 3 so I'm going to guess that's the one people feel the least confident on.
(I hope this helps)

With psychology i can never tell how i do as it's my only essay based subject and so sometimes i have no clue what would get marks. i made silly mistakes on the paper 1 short markers, paper 2 i found more difficult to be honest esp that 8 marker on the amygdala. My school never gave us a paper 3 to sit so i am a bit worried. ive been doing paper 3's the whole of today and the stupid mark scheme is like ' look for other reasonable points' no clue if what im writing is correct ahahaha. but thank you it did help. ive noticed grade boundries for A are around 50% usually per year? correct me if im wrong :smile:
With psychology i can never tell how i do as it's my only essay based subject and so sometimes i have no clue what would get marks. i made silly mistakes on the paper 1 short markers, paper 2 i found more difficult to be honest esp that 8 marker on the amygdala. My school never gave us a paper 3 to sit so i am a bit worried. ive been doing paper 3's the whole of today and the stupid mark scheme is like ' look for other reasonable points' no clue if what im writing is correct ahahaha. but thank you it did help. ive noticed grade boundries for A are around 50% usually per year? correct me if im wrong :smile:

I'm in the same situation, I've never been given a full paper 3 however I have sat some tests which include issue and debates questions so I think I have the base knowledge on how to structure them which is good. I agree the mark scheme is a bit sparse but I find the level mark scheme helps me more in terms of how much detail and how many points to make so that might help you understand how to answer it.

Personally I am finding that because I revised paper 1 and 2 in-depth that I have more of a base knowledge to the questions in terms of what to include but I think due to me never sitting the exam before I feel quite ill-prepared as it's quite unexpected.

How do you feel you're going to do on paper 3?
So guys what's the prediction for the question for Watson and rayner and sherif 16 marker?
Reply 17
sherif would be the fact theyre all from the usa so other cultures may act different and i dont think u can really use it much for watson idkkk
Reply 18
Original post by i3ps

THIS IS JUST A THEORY !

my teachers think this also so yea 20m ssr 16 wat rayn sherif issue debate and 12 is explaining themes
Reply 19
cohrs et al for sherif and for watson just talk about developments in cc and flooding and treatments ig

Quick Reply