Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    It does if is being used to describe the essential quality of being a dancer.

If it were "dancers" then to make sense structurally the line would have to be "Are we humans, or are we dancers?". Having used the adjective "human" rather than the plural noun "humans", what is needed is an adjective to describe the essential quality of being a dancer.

"Dancer" as an adjective is probably a neologism, but one the meaning of which is fairly obvious, and which follows the pattern set by "human" and "humans" of using the singular noun as an adjective.
    He sets it in the plural by saying we, a collective group. Human fits in with that (human-kind isn't single) so to be correct it would have to be dancers. We can't be dancer. It doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Link?
    http://www.gigwise.com/news/47201/Ki...r-Human-Lyrics

So much for those who thought it was Denser lol.

ReputationRep:
    He's right it doesn't make sense but it is the correct lyric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    He sets it in the plural by saying we, a collective group. Human fits in with that (human-kind isn't single) so to be correct it would have to be dancers. We can't be dancer. It doesn't make sense.
    It only doesn't make sense if you refuse to use "dancer" as an adjective. There is no more problem with "we are dancer" than with "we are red"; it doesn't have to be "we are reds" just because we is a plural pronoun. In fact "we are reds" would convey a different meaning - it would imply that red is a noun, not an adjective.

ReputationRep:
    So what if it doesn't make sense, still an awesome song

ReputationRep:
    Who let you go?!

Count me in :dancing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    It only doesn't make sense if you refuse to use "dancer" as an adjective. There is no more problem with "we are dancer" than with "we are red"; it doesn't have to be "we are reds" just because we is a plural pronoun. In fact "we are reds" would convey a different meaning - it would imply that red is a noun, not an adjective.
    I don't really get your point. I'm no linguist, but the statement 'we are dancer' doesn't make sense. That is just common sense. You can talk about nouns and pro-nouns and variable other semantics of the sentence but really sense is the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Miss-Brightside*)
    So what if it doesn't make sense, still an awesome song
    True and I never said otherwise.

Killers lyrics rarely make sense, but that doesn't stop them being top-notch when being shouted out at the top of your voice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)

Killers lyrics rarely make sense, but that doesn't stop them being top-notch when being shouted out at the top of your voice
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gigwise.com/news/47201/Ki...r-Human-Lyrics

So much for those who thought it was Denser lol.
    Your signature's making me very jealous:shifty: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)

Ditto :yep: I like the mystery in them!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBillyBrownx)
    Your signature's making me very jealous:shifty: .
    Sorry lol but it was the most amazing night of my life And I missed out on tickets like a lot of people, and ended up getting them off ebay for £280!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry lol but it was the most amazing night of my life And I missed out on tickets like a lot of people, and ended up getting them off ebay for £280!
    Christ, you could've pretty much had Reading for that!

ReputationRep:
    Haha it's okay :p:.
    :eek: Omg that's a lot of money! I'm sure (well I hope) it was worth it! What was it like, tell us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBillyBrownx)
    Haha it's okay :p:.
    :eek: Omg that's a lot of money! I'm sure (well I hope) it was worth it! What was it like, tell us.
    Seriously, there aren't enough words to justify how bloody amazing they were...it was my first Killers gig so when he first came onto stage, we just screamed our lungs off! All I can say was the night was just pure magic, Brandon went into the crowd a bit during Mr Brightside, someone through a t-shirt at Ronnie and he stripped on stage and put it on which was hilarious! Honestly, I keep reliving this night in my head over and over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wodemingzijiaonisha - Have put up 2 lil vids on my youtube channel!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, there aren't enough words to justify how bloody amazing they were...it was my first Killers gig so when he first came onto stage, we just screamed our lungs off! All I can say was the night was just pure magic, Brandon went into the crowd a bit during Mr Brightside, someone through a t-shirt at Ronnie and he stripped on stage and put it on which was hilarious! Honestly, I keep reliving this night in my head over and over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wodemingzijiaonisha - Have put up 2 lil vids on my youtube channel!
    Amazing! Lucky youuu. Glad you had a good time, at least your money didn't go to waste! I've never seen them live actually. I would LOVE to though.

ReputationRep:
    Mr. Brightside

ReputationRep:
    Ooh my favourite bands now both have societies Muse and now my all time favourite The Killers. Count me in :yep: I seriously can't wait for the new album. Love Human and am so looking forward to 2 weeks today, got it preordered from Amazon for £7.99. Judging by the reviews it's going to be their best yet, which would be an amazing feat in itself!

ReputationRep:
    HOw do I join?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.