The Student Room Group

Can I still get into my chosen uni?

I am in the middle of my A-Levels (2 to go), and after finishing all of my history exams, I strongly feel I am unlikely to achieve a B. My offer for Warick University is ABB. My backup offer is BCC for a university that is very far. Is there anything I can do to still get into Warwick to do a psychology degree if I can explain why I could not achieve the grades?

For context- I am not unintelligent- without sounding cocky I might even say I am smart. I achieved six 8s and four 9s in my GCSEs, was predicted a*aa before I began to miss school and have a*s on both of my courseworks for History and English Literature. I take psychology aswell however am not too worried about getting an A in this subject.

I started missing school in October. My mental health had been on the ropes anyway and when my boyfriend splitted with me in a very nasty way, I was hospitalised for reasons I don't really want to go into (but you can probably guess). It left me pretty traumatised and worsened my mental state and I accumulatively missed around 4 months of school. I was in no state to work, whilst trying to find the right dosage for my meds which I am now off I was left severely depressed. For this reason, I was extremely behind on content, especially for history, my most content-heavy subject. Catching up was impossible. I continued to experience health problems, I was having seizures and my mental health was still my worst enemy.
I got a doctors note arranged for me requesting extra time or rest breaks to accommodate my anxiety but this wasn't in place for my first exam, leaving me extremely anxious for my second- my first history exam. I had a massive breakdown mid-exam. I was able to carry on but I was so phased, I wasn't even able to attempt my third question. For this reason, I don't think I will be able to get a B despite my coursework bringing me up a bit.

It's frustrating to me, because I know that had I not been left in the circumstance I have been this last year of school, I would have been able to achieve ABB.

What can I do? Should I get in touch with the applications centre? If so, when and what should I say and not say? Do I have to just take it on the chin? Is there any way I can salvage this and get into my dream university? If anyone has any advice it would be very appreciated :smile:
You need time out to get your mental health in the right place before you go to Uni.

Honest advice? Cancel your UCAS application for this year.
Your head is all over the place and leaving home / going to Uni is stressful enough.

Once you have your A level results, then make a decision about retaking (your school should be sympathetic to this idea if they are aware of your recent issues). Go and see your GP and get some counselling help.

It will take 1 year+ to get your head in a better place and you can't just rush to Uni and hope it will all be okay.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
You need time out to get your mental health in the right place before you go to Uni.

Honest advice? Cancel your UCAS application for this year.
Your head is all over the place and leaving home / going to Uni is stressful enough.

Once you have your A level results, then make a decision about retaking (your school should be sympathetic to this idea if they are aware of your recent issues). Go and see your GP and get some counselling help.

It will take 1 year+ to get your head in a better place and you can't just rush to Uni and hope it will all be okay.

I have been to my GP, and since been on a course of CBT and medication since September which has improved my mental state massively in the last month. The issue lies with the consequences of my head last year, rather than where I am currently. I am feeling much better in myself- however I understand why perhaps retaking my exams at a later date when I am caught up may be an option
(edited 1 year ago)
Complete Warwick’s mitigating circumstances form, (AWARDS?). Do it ASAP, they won’t reconsider a decision on results day.
Original post by GotNoClue
I have been to my GP, and since been on a course of CBT and medication since September which has improved my mental state massively in the last month. The issue lies with the consequences of my head last year, rather than where I am currently. I am feeling much better in myself- however I understand why perhaps retaking my exams at a later date when I am caught up may be an option

Get your school to write to Warwick to explain the issues you have faced. I think a GAP year might be beneficial anyway ...

Quick Reply

Latest