Psychology or law

Watch this thread
coolgirlxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi I am in year 11 and I’ve been thinking a lot recently about my future career. I enjoy both psychology and law and am wondering whether I should study forensic psychology or law in the future. I am not good at science and I don’t like the science aspect of psychology but the subject in general fascinates me a lot, so I am unsure whether taking a psychology degree is good. Law, similarly is really intriguing to me, but I do not want to be a solicitor or barrister, I am thinking whether there are law careers or degrees that incorporate some kind of psychology into law.
P.S. I know there are dual law and psychology degrees but it seems to me that only Southampton uni and Nottingham Trent are doing it and they’re not necessarily unis that I want to get into
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by coolgirlxo)
Hi I am in year 11 and I’ve been thinking a lot recently about my future career. I enjoy both psychology and law and am wondering whether I should study forensic psychology or law in the future. I am not good at science and I don’t like the science aspect of psychology but the subject in general fascinates me a lot, so I am unsure whether taking a psychology degree is good. Law, similarly is really intriguing to me, but I do not want to be a solicitor or barrister, I am thinking whether there are law careers or degrees that incorporate some kind of psychology into law.
P.S. I know there are dual law and psychology degrees but it seems to me that only Southampton uni and Nottingham Trent are doing it and they’re not necessarily unis that I want to get into
Law has better graduate prospects I believe - a lot of people do psychology at uni and anecdotally it seems graduates struggle to get a job in psychology after graduating, which suggests the number of psychology graduates is more than the number of jobs in psychology available, although worth doing more research and particularly research into forensic psychology. However, law can be very competitive, especially at top unis, and you will be required to have very high grades (ideally all As/A*s) to have a chance at an offer. I believe graduate prospects for law depend pretty heavily on the ranking + reputation of the uni you go to. Also you may need to take the LNAT depending on where you apply. I recommend researching careers in law that interest you, but bear in mind you may not get offers from your top choice or you may very well end up with no offers at all in your first application cycle, although if you do want to do law don't let that be a deterrent. Have you considered courses like criminology maybe?
m1212m
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Ahh! literally me, I'm in year 13 and have spent a very long time researching and coming to a conclusion for what I wanted to pick. I ended up choosing psychology if I ever change my mind in the future I could still do law however I cannot do psychology with a law degree, you still have time to figure it out, read law/psychology books, talk to your career advisor, see how much you enjoy psychology (a-level) if you're choosing it, good luck and don't stress you have 2 years to figure it out .
coolgirlxo
Rep:
(Original post by m1212m)
Ahh! literally me, I'm in year 13 and have spent a very long time researching and coming to a conclusion for what I wanted to pick. I ended up choosing psychology if I ever change my mind in the future I could still do law however I cannot do psychology with a law degree, you still have time to figure it out, read law/psychology books, talk to your career advisor, see how much you enjoy psychology (a-level) if you're choosing it, good luck and don't stress you have 2 years to figure it out .
Would you mind me asking which a levels did you take?
m1212m
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I'm taking Psychology, English Literature, and Politics, haha 5/9 A-levels done!
Would you mind me asking which a levels did you take?
coolgirlxo
Rep:
(Original post by m1212m)
I'm taking Psychology, English Literature, and Politics, haha 5/9 A-levels done!
Oh we take almost the same ones, I’m doing English literature, history and psychology. And gl with your exams!
m1212m
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thank you!! good luck w your gcse's and alevels!
Oh we take almost the same ones, I’m doing English literature, history and psychology. And gl with your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (29)
32.95%
They're exactly what I expected (24)
27.27%