Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's ALREADY studying European Union Studies at Cardiff? What's the non-language part like ? Are modules taught more from a "political" point of view? Are they...interesting?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    anyone? looks like ppl on this course are quite busy, so maybe it's not the easiest of courses..

ReputationRep:
    You're in luck! (Unlike me, when I was desperately scouring the web for info on it this time last year..)
    I'm about halfway through the first semester of EUS now and thoroughly enjoying it. Of course that's not to say everyone enjoys it, and there are so many varieties you could choose with the modules anyway.
    How do you mean from a 'political' point of view exactly? It wouldn't be easy/possible to have a politics lecturer who doesn't have some political bias :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolobok)
    You're in luck! (Unlike me, when I was desperately scouring the web for info on it this time last year..)
    I'm about halfway through the first semester of EUS now and thoroughly enjoying it. Of course that's not to say everyone enjoys it, and there are so many varieties you could choose with the modules anyway.
    How do you mean from a 'political' point of view exactly? It wouldn't be easy/possible to have a politics lecturer who doesn't have some political bias :P
    yaaay! I'm glad I found someone!!

I mean is it more (politically) theoretical, ot is it more factual? it would be interesting to find out about how different policies of the EU actually work, but I'm not really keen on political theory in general....I'm sorry if I am a bit unclear,but it's late, it's been a hard day at work and i am sleeeepy.....:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. Well, most is theoretical but also with a lot of 'factual' cases to study. From my experience so far, the basic view on a university course in politics in "You can find out all the general developments in the world from the news or something whereas we'll help you develop new ways to consider what those things really imply."

My main point is that politics courses are inevitably theoretical, and to expect otherwise (as MANY students have here, I assure you) would initially lead to disappoint. However, if you approached it wanting to really understand political issues (and that includes absolutely anything that interests you), then you'd soon find yourself delving much deeper into real issues and being grateful that you've acquired some of the theoretical foundations for it.

Like I said, there is a great variety amongst the modules. Perhaps you'd enjoy the European Intergration module: this focuses primarily on facts, first on historical developments (post 1945) in Europe. Message me if you want to know more. And when the time arrives, I'll be able to give you insight to how things are next semester when we start discussing current events like the Lisbon treaty!

Good luck on deciding and with the whole application process!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.