The Student Room Group

Asking for

Hi there, my daughter is about to start her second year of A levels , she chose Spanish, sociology and phycology but really wasn’t sure what she wanted to study at Uni. She has now decided and would like to apply to university to study classics possibly with English but all the uni courses we are looking at ask for other A level subjects, would this be an issue and would you suggest she studies a fourth A level such as classical civilisation or English Lit?
(She already has sat Spanish and was awarded an A)
Hi there.

Some universities offer courses with foundation years for those who want to do the course but do not have the required A levels to do so. This foundation year basically gives them al the information they are looking for their students to have through completing the required A levels. As to sitting an A level which would mean she meets the entry requirements, that is a good prospect to look further into as I am not sure many universities offer foundation year courses for classical courses, but still worth checking.
You mentioned your daughter has already sat her Spanish A level- just to clarify, it was an A level not an AS level?
Reply 2
Good afternoon, thank you so much for tall
of this advice, I will definitely check with some universities to see if she can apply to do the foundation level. To answer your question, she sat her Spanish A level as she is fluent in Spanish but has only sat her AS levels for sociology and phycology so far.
(Original post by username5947972)Hi there.

Some universities offer courses with foundation years for those who want to do the course but do not have the required A levels to do so. This foundation year basically gives them al the information they are looking for their students to have through completing the required A levels. As to sitting an A level which would mean she meets the entry requirements, that is a good prospect to look further into as I am not sure many universities offer foundation year courses for classical courses, but still worth checking.
You mentioned your daughter has already sat her Spanish A level- just to clarify, it was an A level not an AS level?

quote=username5947972;97282379]Hi there.

Original post by Micky2
Hi there, my daughter is about to start her second year of A levels , she chose Spanish, sociology and phycology but really wasn’t sure what she wanted to study at Uni. She has now decided and would like to apply to university to study classics possibly with English but all the uni courses we are looking at ask for other A level subjects, would this be an issue and would you suggest she studies a fourth A level such as classical civilisation or English Lit?
(She already has sat Spanish and was awarded an A)

Hi Micky, she could look at Classical Studies or Ancient History instead of Classics. Some universities will let you onto Classics without a background in the subject, though, such as the University of Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending