The Student Room Group

What did he mean?

Please keep anon. He uses this website and knows who I am on here too - don't want him finding out... Otherwise, delete.

Right, so recently [2 weeks ago] I decided to pair up with a student who happened to speak the language I was learning. We met for the first time and had coffee. Thereafter he introduced me to his friends - they were going haloween shopping. It was fun. At the end, I texted saying - "it was nice meeting you and your friends, you seem like nice people - I promise to speak more of your language next time" and he replied "i was delighted to meet you too, we will indeed only speak my language the next time"

I had a great time so I asked if I could join them at the haloween party. They agreed. So we texted for a bit asking where I would meet him and his friends etc coz the party was not till 5 days after the shopping. so I went with some of my friends too when it was time for the party.

So anyways, it went alright then at the end of the weekend, I texted this same student that I had met and asked him how the rest of his weekend was - just general stuff. He didn't reply back.

So today I sent him another message asking if I had said/done anything wrong and if that was true that I was sorry for whatever it was! I just felt really bad because normally people ignore you for a reason.

The he replied back saying "It was not right for me to ignore you. You are not the one to blame. Just wanted to keep my distance a bit. If you want, we can to meet up for a general conversation this week."

So it's mostly the highlighted part that I do not understand. Did I give off the wrong messages? I mean, I don't like him in THAT way, just wanted to be like genuine friends with him. I do not know what to reply back at the moment.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Meet him and find out is all you can do.
Reply 2
Ask him.
Reply 3
Why do women always think there is some kind of philosophy in everything boys say -.-...

He meant just that - interpret it yourself.
Reply 4
Wait, you said he uses this site and knows who you are, yet after you just told that nice fully detailed story and what he said.. You think he can't use his brain a tad and work out that it's you?

My god. :biggrin:
Reply 5
You might find out if/when he reads this thread.
Reply 6
hes gonna read it...duhhh
He sounds as though he wants to take things slow...
Reply 8
Any other meaningful responses?

Chances he checks H&R = very slim

He only wants to improve his English so he stays in academic forums as far as I am concerned. Reason why I kept it anonymous is so that if he was to check my created threads, this one would not pop up.
Reply 9
SofinaaBabess
He sounds as though he wants to take things slow...

Thanks.

But like I said, that's not the sort of impression I was intending to give out -i.e. I do not want any form of relationship that goes beyond friendship with him...
Sparxy
Wait, you said he uses this site and knows who you are, yet after you just told that nice fully detailed story and what he said.. You think he can't use his brain a tad and work out that it's you?

My god. :biggrin:

Lol agreed! *waits for the lad mentioned to appear* :biggrin:

As for advice OP, I dunno what to say, I'm confused too!
Reply 11
Anonymous
Thanks.

But like I said, that's not the sort of impression I was intending to give out -i.e. I do not want any form of relationship that goes beyond friendship with him...

Well if it turns out that he likes you in that way, you"ll have to explain that to him. Which could be tricky actually. Or maybe he didnt mean what has already been sugessted?. Who knows with guys eh?.
Anonymous
Thanks.

Well after reading the blue text several times it sounds as though he's the one who has got the wrong impression now, hmmm, I dunno...You should just ask him before it turns into something silly and unmanageable.
Reply 13
Anonymous
Thanks.

Maybe it's just me...but if this happened to me, I think I'd text (or even better phone) him and ask exactly what he meant by the 'keep my distance' thing.

Given that as far as you know, you guys are just friends, I see no reason why you should be embarrassed - just ask him what he means! :yep:
Reply 14
Thanks guys.

Okay how does this sound :

"What do you mean by you "wanted to keep your distance a bit"? I hope I did not give out the wrong impression.....I saw you as a friend, that's all. This week I am busy so I can only meet up on [insert day] for 30 mins"

The whole point of the little time is just in case I gave him the wrong impression, he realises that I am in this for academic purposes only.

Any other suggestions for a reply back would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
Thanks guys.

Okay how does this sound :

"What do you mean by you "wanted to keep your distance a bit"? I hope I did not give out the wrong impression.....I saw you as a friend, that's all. This week I am busy so I can only meet up on [insert day] for 30 mins"

I wouldn't say that bit just yet, if I was you..
Reply 16
SofinaaBabess
I wouldn't say that bit just yet, if I was you..

:ditto:
Reply 17
Okay, so what do you suggest I say?
Just leave that bit out completley, and wait till he texts back...
so just say "What do you mean by you "wanted to keep your distance a bit"? This week I am busy so I can only meet up on [insert day] for 30 mins"
god, i hate complicated text conversations, you can never convey what you mean.

just talk to each other.. you know face to face; like in the good old days?

Latest

Trending

Trending