Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys one of subjects i'd like to study at university is medicine but since im doing economics maths english and history at AS level at the moment so the only way i can get into it is through foundation medicine (6 years)

the only thing that is preventing me is my GCSEs that i ****** up
    i got
    4 A*s for ICT DiDA
    5 B's for Media Studies, English lit and lang, Humanities and Core science
    1 C for Maths
    2 D's for citizenship and additional science

my grandmother was killed in a car crash on da may 22 which heavily effected mee badlyyy and i was wondering should i retake maths and additional science GCSE again and apply for foundation medicine or what

any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you do apply, but the death in the reference for extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    u godda have at least GCSE science maths and english a B...shouldnt be a big deal since u done AS already

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered an alternative career...

ReputationRep:
    yeah course definitley
    I just wanted to know could I apply for da course if I resat my science and maths gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegendKiller377)
    yeah course definitley
    I just wanted to know could I apply for da course if I resat my science and maths gcse
    Does it say you need an A/A* in GCSE Science and Maths to apply? If not you might get away with a B because you have extenuating circumstances. If you got high As at AS, did voluntary/hospital work, got your PS just right, had a good reference and did well enough on the UKCAT/BMAT then you should get interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    Does it say you need an A/A* in GCSE Science and Maths to apply? If not you might get away with a B because you have extenuating circumstances. If you got high As at AS, did voluntary/hospital work, got your PS just right, had a good reference and did well enough on the UKCAT/BMAT then you should get interviews.
    I dont need A's or A*s im just saying look at my GCSEs because thats the only reason thats stopping me from applying for foundation medicine ( D in additional science and C in maths)

p.s im doing my AS at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegendKiller377)
    I dont need A's or A*s im just saying look at my GCSEs because thats the only reason thats stopping me from applying for foundation medicine ( D in additional science and C in maths)

p.s im doing my AS at the moment
    I'm sure your extenuating circumstance would offset the grades you achieved (which are still very impressive considering). If you get the others things sorted then you stand a good chance (4A* 6B is not particulary mediocre).

I would say if you're considering Medicine, start sending off applications for work experience NOW, they can be very difficult to get.

ReputationRep:
    im not worrying about work experience at the moment i just wanna get this problem out of the way first

im gonna email the universitys and see what they say

ReputationRep:
    email the universities AND ask about work experience - i was lucky and managed to get a lot (had a voluntary job, school messed up with the NHS so the school contacted a GP who was a parent and i got NHS stuff, and my ex's mum was head surgical nurse so got me work experience in surgery) but most people find it incedibly difficult to get any

also, with voluntary work, it is better to have some long term than for just a short amount of time so you should really start looking now if you are serious about applying for medicine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 10, 2008

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.