The Student Room Group

need some help!!!!!!!!!!!

been wasting on the internet as i suffer from an addiction and now have my a lvl chem exam tomorrow. i am crying inside because i want to stop but keep going back to this. idk what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
been wasting on the internet as i suffer from an addiction and now have my a lvl chem exam tomorrow. i am crying inside because i want to stop but keep going back to this. idk what to do

Delete TSR.

Destroy wi - fi router

Study

Do exam

??????????

Profit
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Delete TSR.

Destroy wi - fi router

Study

Do exam

??????????

Profit

not that easy mate. tried doing stuff like that but kept coming its so bad is affected my studies
not that easy mate. tried doing stuff like that but kept coming its so bad is affected my studies

Go study in your library rather than at home

An app and website blocker, maybe?
Go study in your library rather than at home

I kind of want to study in a park or even my garden but I can’t with my laptop…
specifically my addiction is to do with certain content. my exam is tomorrow and i can barely remember stuff now, feel so gutted and ashamed and a failure
Reply 7
Well, just go and do it and hope for the best - good luck - but it's a horrible sinking sensation (but at least its not your execution)
Learn from any failures and get some help from your GP for the computer addiction.

Next time see if you can buy books and use them as your revision & work resource guides. Turn off all e devices.
Original post by anniisa97
I kind of want to study in a park or even my garden but I can’t with my laptop…

Study outside in the shade perhaps?
specifically my addiction is to do with certain content. my exam is tomorrow and i can barely remember stuff now, feel so gutted and ashamed and a failure

Forget about your exam. Go to sleep and get a good nights rest. I’m sure everything will be fine, it turns out fine 99.9% of the time.
Forget about your exam. Go to sleep and get a good nights rest. I’m sure everything will be fine, it turns out fine 99.9% of the time.

Sorry, wrong quote because the mobile app won’t let me pick the one in response to myself.

It’s not so much about the shade but not having access to a plug for a while. Unless there is something I can use to charge my laptop? I wouldn’t know about it. I’m always behind like that 😅
its not like that i might as well say it is a prn addiction and i have suffered with this for a while, haven't even studied for my alvl chem exam tomorrow. so screwed, my mind is fkd and so am i 😭😭😭
its not like that i might as well say it is a prn addiction and i have suffered with this for a while, haven't even studied for my alvl chem exam tomorrow. so screwed, my mind is fkd and so am i 😭😭😭

For the exam tomorrow you're just going to have to firm not doing as well as you could have done. But you have 2 more chem exams next week to make up for that so you may still end up doing really well. If you're getting distracted by prn, then make sure that from tomorrow, you start going to the library without any of your own electronics, and that way you wont be able to get distracted with those things even if you wanted.
Listen, you need to work on your willpower. Go pick up a hobby that requires delayed gratification, e.g. bodybuilding or a martial art, or a skill that will take time to master (e.g. swimming if you can't already, or archery which will take a lot of patience). Busy yourself with those things and stay out of the house more, and with friends who push you to do good or be active instead of being alone in whichever situation triggers you to relapse. Ensure you avoid relapsing because that'll delay your mental recovery, over time your dopamine receptors will become more sensitive and you'll feel more gratification from your other hobby/hobbies you just picked up. In terms of your exam, do what you can and since you care you need to prepare for a retake. Make yourself accountable if you relapse into any addiction in some way, maybe by having a goal of yourself in a years time and realising that anything going against that will make your recovery take longer and is just pointless.

tldr; read it cuh its good advice

Binge get it out your system then move on to study, or try to think of benefits of passing the said exam over the benefits of desires. How do you feel when you have fulfilled your desires........empty? Then recall that feeling then use it to do something more productive!
Original post by TheTimeIsNye
Binge get it out your system then move on to study, or try to think of benefits of passing the said exam over the benefits of desires. How do you feel when you have fulfilled your desires........empty? Then recall that feeling then use it to do something more productive!

i feel like crap rn, i am muslim and this is considered a sin in my religion yet i have struggled with this every day for the past 2 years since starting college. I really don't know how i can live with myself doing this problem, its affected me so much especially my grades. i am not only fkd for chem tomorrow but all my other a lvl subjects now
i feel like crap rn, i am muslim and this is considered a sin in my religion yet i have struggled with this every day for the past 2 years since starting college. I really don't know how i can live with myself doing this problem, its affected me so much especially my grades. i am not only fkd for chem tomorrow but all my other a lvl subjects now

Humans are imperfect, but you need a balance. Addiction is not easy, but it's usually related to escapism. As a quick fix I suggest you study somewhere in the house where family members are, this will change your environmental mindset.
Original post by TheTimeIsNye
Humans are imperfect, but you need a balance. Addiction is not easy, but it's usually related to escapism. As a quick fix I suggest you study somewhere in the house where family members are, this will change your environmental mindset.

i do study in the dining room, even when people are present its when my parents dissapear or go out of the house thats when i find new ways, i have boundaries and restrictions in place, i find loopholes - its gotten that bad
Original post by anniisa97
Sorry, wrong quote because the mobile app won’t let me pick the one in response to myself.

It’s not so much about the shade but not having access to a plug for a while. Unless there is something I can use to charge my laptop? I wouldn’t know about it. I’m always behind like that 😅

Get an external power bank
Get an external power bank

Yeah I was looking for an answer like this. Lol thanks
Anonymous by mistake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending