Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does your college need you to get to allow you in? Watch

• View Poll Results: What does your college need you to get to allow you in? (Choose closest)
    10 A*s or More
    4.35%
    8-10 A*s
    0.54%
    8 As
    1.09%
    6As
    8.15%
    8Bs
    3.80%
    5Bs
    5.98%
    3Bs
    1.09%
    B or above in subjects you wish to take
    12.50%
    B or above in subjects you wish to take + English/maths
    11.96%
    5 Cs
    38.59%
    4Cs
    2.72%
    4Cs (Btec First counts)
    0.54%
    3Ds
    0.54%
    Mixture of C/Ds
    1.63%
    Lower
    0.54%
    Nothing
    5.98%

ReputationRep:
    The school I'm at now wanted 6 A*-C grades incl. English & Maths, with a minimum of C in the subject you want to do at A-Level if you did it for GCSE. A couple of people got in with D's in Maths & have just retaken it.
    Quite low I know! For the yr11s starting Sep 09, they need 7 A*-C passes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    crikey o_0 where do you study!?
    She goes to North London Collegiate which is a highly competitive private school. They get excellent results every year because they only select people who will do really well. Which personally I think is a bit unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    She goes to North London Collegiate which is a highly competitive private school. They get excellent results every year because they only select people who will do really well. Which personally I think is a bit unfair.
    Yeah they have a grammar school like that in Colchester. Some of my EX-friends got in and have turned into nerdy sluts. Thank god they rejected me I knew they would, I did send it on the last day, and threaten them in the interview. pahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they have a grammar school like that in Colchester. Some of my EX-friends got in and have turned into nerdy sluts. Thank god they rejected me I knew they would, I did send it on the last day, and threaten them in the interview. pahaha
    I looked round it [North London Collegiate] in yr7 and thank goodness I didn't like it because I wouldn't have had a cats chance in hell of getting in. I actually know quite a few people who go there, fortunatley they haven't turned into nerdy sluts. I was talking to one whose in yr12 [same year as me] and she was saying basically even B's are considered bad there.

ReputationRep:
    crikey o_0 where do you study!?
    sorry for not replying earlier, but yeah, I study at North London Collegiate like jelly1000 said =]

ReputationRep:
    don't get me wrong, I've begun to realize the unfairness of this....coz you generally need to be able to pay to afford it as well =/ .... its actually draining a lot of money out of my parents, and i find it a bit over-disciplined to what im used to, so im thinking of changing to a local sixth form (Woodhouse college, you might know it?) or maybe Latymer in Edmonton...=]

ReputationRep:
    I looked round it [North London Collegiate] in yr7 and thank goodness I didn't like it because I wouldn't have had a cats chance in hell of getting in. I actually know quite a few people who go there, fortunatley they haven't turned into nerdy sluts. I was talking to one whose in yr12 [same year as me] and she was saying basically even B's are considered bad there.
    Yeah I know colleges like that
    urgh damn me getting Bs and no A*s
    should've worked really. I'm obviously "stupid" :P

ReputationRep:
    Colchester has some really amazing grammar school I think that always comes really high in the league tables, my cousin's always raving on about it!

awww, haha well from my experience, my new private school tends to be more like that than the grammar school I used to be at...but not everyone's a nerdy slut thank god!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_dragoness274)
    sorry for not replying earlier, but yeah, I study at North London Collegiate like jelly1000 said =]
    clever girl :P

ReputationRep:
    5A*-C which seems to be the case for most state sixth-forms, colleges. Although, having said that, there are people at my sixth form doing a BTEC with no GCSEs at all (i.e. all less than a C grade)

ReputationRep:
    ohh, well I started at North London Collegiate at the beginning of last year (year 10, im in 11 now), and i was pretty much doing crap in my studies at Henrietta Barnett coz I just didn't focus/mucked around too much :p: ...here you're forced to focus though coz it's so disciplined!

yeahh getting an A is what most people consider the minimum =/ bit over the top really

ReputationRep:
    Colchester has some really amazing grammar school I think that always comes really high in the league tables, my cousin's always raving on about it!

awww, haha well from my experience, my new private school tends to be more like that than the grammar school I used to be at...but not everyone's a nerdy slut thank god!
    yes, that's the same one
    Colchester Royal Grammar School :P
    http://www.crgs.co.uk/
    They bring in about 40 asian people who do 8 alevels and all get As. :rolleyes: no wonder they're so high really. :P

ReputationRep:
    ohh, well I started at North London Collegiate at the beginning of last year (year 10, im in 11 now), and i was pretty much doing crap in my studies at Henrietta Barnett coz I just didn't focus/mucked around too much :p: ...here you're forced to focus though coz it's so disciplined!

yeahh getting an A is what most people consider the minimum =/ bit over the top really
    damn i wish i'd have gone to your sixth form
    i wasn't motivated or pushed at all

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know colleges like that
    urgh damn me getting Bs and no A*s
    should've worked really. I'm obviously "stupid" :P
    aww thanks ^_^
    I'm sure you're not =)! I felt like an absolute idiot when I was at my grammar school, I always got the crappest marks in tests and stuff....but yeah once you force yourself to work, like I'm being made to now, you eventually get the grades i guess...I wish they did that in more non-private/selective schools too though

ReputationRep:
    yes, that's the same one
    Colchester Royal Grammar School :P
    http://www.crgs.co.uk/
    They bring in about 40 asian people who do 8 alevels and all get As. :rolleyes: no wonder they're so high really. :P
    yeahh thats it! now i remember =)
    haha lol sounds like my old grammar....amazing place full of loads of asians who inevitably go on to doing medicine/law/dentistry!! bit of a generalization but its true xD

ReputationRep:
    yeahh thats it! now i remember =)
    haha lol sounds like my old grammar....amazing place full of loads of asians who inevitably go on to doing medicine/law/dentistry!! bit of a generalization but its true xD
    hahaha
    i go to the girls grammar school version of that
    they do better than them in the gcses (when we all have passed the 11+) but colchester royal grammar school brings in loads of new people [the asian people i was talking about] who make it really high up. hmmm . :P

ReputationRep:
    don't get me wrong, I've begun to realize the unfairness of this....coz you generally need to be able to pay to afford it as well =/ .... its actually draining a lot of money out of my parents, and i find it a bit over-disciplined to what im used to, so im thinking of changing to a local sixth form (Woodhouse college, you might know it?) or maybe Latymer in Edmonton...=]
    From your other post about NLCS, it sounds a lot more disicplined than my old school [also private was]. And I have a friend in yr11 at the school and she always seems to have obscene ammounts of homework. She was talking about getting Maths coursework in yr8 :confused:
    My old school cut back on homework drastically, so even in yr11 we never had more than 40 minutes [excluding coursework] a night.

Yeah, I went to look round Woodhouse for 6th form. I applied & was offered the chance to go on the waiting list but declined, partly because it was a bit too far away, and partly because I wasn't really that impressed.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't have any requirements to get it, but you do have to resit GCSE Maths and/or English if you got below a C. You also had to get at least a B in the relevant subject to do French, German or Biology, and an A to do Physics or Chemistry. Plus, for most subjects you had to pass at GCSE (there were some exceptions eg. You could do History without taking it at GCSE, if you got an A in English.)

ReputationRep:
    You have to have grade A or A* in the subjects you are taking and no less than Cs in the rest. The only exception is if you haven't done the subject before, in which case they look at your English and Maths marks (so they have to be A grade usually).

ReputationRep:
    Where's the 'other' option?

My school sixth form asks for 6Bs, minimum C in English and Maths and at least Bs in the subjects you're taking, though A/A* preferred

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.