Clearing 2022

Watch this thread
tvdvampire
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Can I apply to a University that has given me a conditional offer, but i have not gotten enough grades, through UCAS Clearing for the same course??
Last edited by tvdvampire; 2 months ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tvdvampire)
Can I apply to a University that has given me a conditional offer, but i have not gotten enough grades, through UCAS Clearing for the same course??
No the university will have considered whether to accept you with lower grades before rejecting you. In practice it is unlikely a university will be in clearing anyway with your grades or lower.

Basically what happens is that anybody who meets an offer is automatically accept. The university then looks whether it still has places to fill after that. If it still has places they have to decide whether to accept applicants with missed grades or to go into clearing. If they decide to go for clearing it will for grades above missed grades. If they are accepting lower grades it would make sense to accept someone who has just missed a grade as that is someone who would definitely go there rather than the risk of a place not being filled.
tvdvampire
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
No the university will have considered whether to accept you with lower grades before rejecting you. In practice it is unlikely a university will be in clearing anyway with your grades or lower.

Basically what happens is that anybody who meets an offer is automatically accept. The university then looks whether it still has places to fill after that. If it still has places they have to decide whether to accept applicants with missed grades or to go into clearing. If they decide to go for clearing it will for grades above missed grades. If they are accepting lower grades it would make sense to accept someone who has just missed a grade as that is someone who would definitely go there rather than the risk of a place not being filled.
Oh, I see... So we better have to choose another uni which can accept our grades through clearing right?

So the universities can make us an exception sometimes by accepting if the grade is lower than the conditional offer, right?

Whenever I ask my doubts to teachers they say answers unclearly and I don't really know many people who went to uni in the UK.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
A university will never accept lower grades in clearing than they would have accepted from applicants that picked them as firm choice.
“Firm” applicants are more likely to succeed on a course with lower grades than clearing applicants who have picked that university/course in a rush.
tvdvampire
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
A university will never accept lower grades in clearing than they would have accepted from applicants that picked them as firm choice.
“Firm” applicants are more likely to succeed on a course with lower grades than clearing applicants who have picked that university/course in a rush.
thank you so much.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tvdvampire)
Oh, I see... So we better have to choose another uni which can accept our grades through clearing right?

So the universities can make us an exception sometimes by accepting if the grade is lower than the conditional offer, right?

Whenever I ask my doubts to teachers they say answers unclearly and I don't really know many people who went to uni in the UK.
The key issue is that universities sometime accept students with missed grades but wont know until the results of other students.

It used to be fairly common to accept 1 dropped grade and sometimes 2 but that was before the grade inflation of the last l of years.

For very competitive courses and universities it is less likely of those accepting lower grades. The chances for say Medicine or courses at places like Imperial or LSE the chances are extremely low..

Nobody can tell until the results are out.

If you are rejected in clearing you will need to look elsewhere.
tvdvampire
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The key issue is that universities sometime accept students with missed grades but wont know until the results of other students.

It used to be fairly common to accept 1 dropped grade and sometimes 2 but that was before the grade inflation of the last l of years.

For very competitive courses and universities it is less likely of those accepting lower grades. The chances for say Medicine or courses at places like Imperial or LSE the chances are extremely low..

Nobody can tell until the results are out.

If you are rejected in clearing you will need to look elsewhere.
they have already reduced the grade boundary after the interview, my conditional offer for nursing said to get a C in Psychology or Biology because I have other 2 A-levels with As (currently doing year14).

I'm really concerned now because my grades are dropping and already took an extra year to do extra A-levels.
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Nobody can tell until results are out but my suspicion is they wont drop lower than a C as it appears to be a key subject in your case. This is different say to someone being offered BBB and getting accepted with BBC.
bhavya.p
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 42 minutes ago
(Original post by PQ)
I also received an unconditional offer from a university but if I don't get the grades I need would they accept me for a foundation year?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 minute ago
(Original post by bhavya.p)
I also received an unconditional offer from a university but if I don't get the grades I need would they accept me for a foundation year?
If your offer is unconditional then you don’t have any grades to get
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (14)
18.92%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (27)
36.49%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
6.76%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.35%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
9.46%
Reading articles about what steps to take (15)
20.27%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads